[3830] OhQP K8BL Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, k8bl@ameritech.net
Subject: [3830] OhQP K8BL Single Op LP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2011 18:31:03 -0700
                    Ohio QSO Party

Call: K8BL
Operator(s): K8BL
Station: K8BL

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: LAKE
Operating Time (hrs): 11.4

   80:  113     75
   40:  192    155
   20:   49    106
   15:    5      3
   10:    0      0
--------------------
Total:  359    339  CW Mults = 93  Ph Mults = 99  Total Score = 202,944

Club: Lake County Amateur Radio Association

Comments:

First, let me say that people who know me are quite aware that I am very
opinionated and am not shy about sharing my opinions. However, I'll spare
you all my COMPLETE opinion on this occasion. This is not the commentary that
I had originally intended.

I thought I had a good time during this year's OhQP since my computer/software
didn't crash and I think I did a personal best with my score. A new(er)
computer and radio probably helped, plus the only connection to the radio from
the computer was the CW keying line - very simple.

After reading over some of the submitted Soapboxes, I realized I didn't have
so much fun after all. If I had any thoughts of having a chance to win in my
category, I didn't have any idea I was doomed from the start. If so, I
wouldn't
have put in the total effort I did and would have taken the time out to have
dinner with my XYL and watched a movie together. Or, maybe I have a mistaken
idea of what is supposed to be the objective of this QSO Party.

In my case, I used my own station that I put together myself and used my own
antennas that I either built or assembled and installed myself. Also, I used
my own Call which is not anything unique that stations would line up to work
as an oddity. The only person around during the QSO Party was my XYL who would
get me a coffee or sandwich as needed and was certainly not able to help with
radio or computer or antenna or strategy issues. It was just me, myself alone
at my modest station on a city lot and in no way super by any stretch. I have
a 25 year old tribander at 55 feet and Inverted Vees for 80 & 40 with apexes
at 50 feet.

However, this is all totally MY choice. This is the way I prefer to operate.
If
I had some other desire or objective in mind, I'm sure I could obtain a unique
Call and find a buddy with a super station who would get everything set up for

me and even install special antennas designed for the event. I could borrow
a Corvette, too, and be the fastest guy on the Turnpike, but it wouldn't be me
and it wouldn't be my car.

Next year, if I decide to participate, I'll have a good idea of what I'm
really
competing against/with. But, I know now it will just be me and my station and
my antennas and my Call. Unfortunately, my effort and interest will much less.

Initially, I had thoughts of not even bothering to submit a Log, but I spent
a fair amount of effort getting interest stirred up in our local club members
to participate and several did. It would be pretty crappy to drop out on them
due to my personal views which turned out to be quite naive.

Congratulations to all who scored well and possibly even attained a their
personal best in a category this year and to those who participated in the
true Ham Spirit of fair competition. And, a big Thanks to all of you that
took the time to give a Q to me at my personal station.

See you all next year, I hope.  73, Bob K8BL