[3830] KsQP WY0I Mobile SSB LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, mclemore@st-tel.net
Subject: [3830] KsQP WY0I Mobile SSB LP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2011 20:12:14 -0700
                    Kansas QSO Party

Call: WY0I
Operator(s): WY0I
Station: WY0I

Class: Mobile SSB LP
QTH: rover
Operating Time (hrs):

   80:
   40:           5
   20:         275
   15:
   10:
    6:
    2:
----------------------------
Total:   0     280      0  Mults = 35  Total Score = 19,700

Club:

Comments:

I had a great time this year for my 1st effort to participate in the KS QSO
Party. I ran in the mobile SSB category with my 1989 Ford f150, Yaseu 857
radio
into a Hustler mobile mostly on 20 meters. I logged on my laptop with N1MM.

I began my trip Saturday morning in Rawlins County with a plan of working an
hour in each county. Rawlins, Decatur and Sheridan were pretty much on time as
they were all close in this corner and the roads were good. I had about a 30
minute trip to my next setup which was Gove & Logan counties. By this time it
was after noon and getting hot. The temp in my pick up was over 100 deg and
the
A/C had decided to go on the fritz. My next stop was to be Fort Wallace in
Wallace County. But being 30 minutes from my QTH in Colby I decided to run
home
and attempt to recharge my A/C system. After a wasted couple of hours I headed
to the corner of Wallace County then to Sherman County and finished Sat night
in
Bird City Park, Cheyenne County. A lot of the locals were interested in what a
stranger was doing in their park and would pretend to not notice me as they
walked by to check me out. I would guess that hearing me speak into a
microphone
with a lot of CQ and the phonic alphabet they figured I was with the
Government
UFO program or just plane crazy, any way they figured I was semi-harmless and
left me alone.

Sunday morning I got up early restocked RC Cola and water into the cooler
tweaked the mounts on my antennas. The rough dirt roads tended to loosen my
mounts and I had to stop a couple of times Sat to tighten them. No problems on
Sunday though. I headed back up Rawlins County to retrace the 1st 3 counties
from Sat then ended up back home under a shade tree in my front yard to finish
the contest.

I worked mostly 20 meters except the last hour or so I swapped resonators and
tried 40 meters. 99 % of my contacts were east and west US. My 1st of 2 DX
stations was MD0CCE, Bob from the Isle of Man. The 2nd was TI8II, Carlos form
Costa Rica. Made a lot of contacts with the Ohio QSO Party and heard 1 Hawaii
station but he couldn't hear me. Kansas contacts were hard for me to get most
likely do to my antenna favoring long range hops. My 1st Kansas contact was
K0JJM Osage Co followed by K0U/M Jefferson Co. & K0W Johnson Co. On Sun I was
able to contact W0SY in Sedgwick, K0S/M Gove, W0S Thomas, and on 40 meters
K0JJM, KS0KS Johnson, KS1USA Osage. With so few Kansas 1x1 contacts I was out
of
the running for spelling "KANSAS SUNFLOWER" the only thing I could spell was
"WUSS" oh well I try harder next year.

I had 35 mults, 280 Q's, 1 100 bonus, for a total of 19,700 points

73, WY0I, Bob