[3830] KsQP N0N(N0NB) Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, n0nb@nonb.us.com
Subject: [3830] KsQP N0N(N0NB) Single Op LP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2011 09:19:58 -0700
                    Kansas QSO Party

Call: N0N
Operator(s): N0NB
Station: N0NB

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: MSH
Operating Time (hrs): 18

   80:    0      3      0
   40:   96     40      0
   20:  178     45     67
   15:    3      1      0
   10:    0      0      0
    6:    0      0      0
    2:    0      0      0
----------------------------
Total:  277     89     67  Mults = 50  Total Score = 60,500

Club:

Comments:

Clearly, an improvement in QTH away from in-town noise and with better antennas
would provide a better result.  Still, I was amazed at the number of ops,
particularly in Europe, who were able to dig me out and my apologies to those
who could hear me that I just could not dig out of the noise.  CW was the money
mode from a performance limited station.  Phone was an exercise in frustration
and PSK31 gave a nice break with a surprising number of stations familiar with
the exchange.

No, I came nowhere close to qualifying for the award for spelling KANSAS or
SUNFLOWER.  My intention was to keep N0N available for everyone else to work
and I hope I fulfilled that goal.  As a weak signal getting spotted on the
cluster didn't seem to happen so I self-spotted solely in an effort to increase
my visibility to those needing to work N0N.  I think it was more important to
promote the special event aspect of my operation than any bump in personal
score.

Again the K3 performed without complaint.  Unless someone happened within my
passband, I couldn't tell if anyone else was on the band!  Another worthwhile
addition was stringing up a 20/15/10m trap dipole prior to the QP.  This
antenna offered a much improved signal to noise over my ground mounted 4BTV so
that many stations in EU and other areas were worked than I would have done
otherwise.

Conditions were much improved over last year.  On Saturday 40m amazed me with
quite short contacts especially off my vertical.  I made several QSO's with 150
miles.  On Sunday 40m and 20m were much longer with no close in QSOs on 40m and
plenty of EU QSOs on 20m and a handful on 15m.

Hopefully, everyone had fun.  Modest station improvements on my end and better
propagation kept me more busy this year than last.  Perhaps we can do the 1x1
special event calls every five or ten years to boost activity in the KQP.

73, de Nate >>