[3830] All Asian SSB NK7U M/M HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] All Asian SSB NK7U M/M HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 4 Sep 2011 20:40:36 -0700
                    All Asian DX Contest, SSB

Call: NK7U
Operator(s): NK7U, K7ZO
Station: NK7U

Class: M/M HP
QTH: Oregon
Operating Time (hrs): 14

   80:   70    35
   40:  221    72
   20:  257   113
   15:   55    31
   10:
-------------------
Total:  603   251  Total Score = 158,130

Club: Willamette Valley DX Club

Comments:

Joe and I had some projects to get the station ready for the fall contest season
so we thought we would play around in the All Asia SSB contest. This was perfect
because typical propagation would leave the day time free for other activities.
Also, the existing North America M/M record was rather low and we knew we
should be able to set a new one if we put our minds to it. This goal was
achieved and our claimed score is about 5X the existing North America M/M
record.

Some interesting observations:

* 15M was a big disappointment. Seems like it should have been better. Friday
was much better than Saturday but even then stations were never that loud. (We
won't even talk about 10M.) At times we could hear stations in the midwest and
east coast working JA's we could not even hear. That drove us crazy.
* 20M on the other hand was outstanding. From what we could tell it stayed open
all Friday night even though we didn't stay up all night to enjoy it. Neither
Joe nor I could remember the last time 20M stayed open all night. However, it
seemed like we eventually ran out of stations to work. Rates on Saturday
afternoon and evening were excruciating slow.  To be certain the impacts of the
earthquake/tsunami and typhoon Talas in Japan reduced the number of operators
getting on the air. Also, there were many other popular contests this weekend,
notably the Russian RTTY Contest, that spread out contesters among the
contests.
* 40M and 80M were in great shape. We didn't spend a long time on these bands,
from just an hour or so before our sunrise until the bands died. We thought our
40M QSO total was great until I saw some of the postings from Single Op stations
in  Arizona. 80M was surprisingly quiet and we thought our QSO total was
respectable. We had great success passing stations back and forth across 40 and
80.
* It was interesting how young the ops in BY are. According to their exchanges
the average age of the BY ops we worked was 35. For the rest of Asia it was 57.
You can see the future of contesting.

All in all it was fun. When 10 and 15 return this contest will be really
exciting.

Scott/K7ZO