[3830] ARRL Sep VHF K4LY Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] ARRL Sep VHF K4LY Single Op LP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2011 07:50:41 -0700

  3.4:
  5.7:
  10G:
  24G:
-------------------
Total:  139    93  Total Score = 18,879

Club: Carolina DX Association

Comments:

After high humidity and little line noise for weeks on end, we had low humidity,
flat conditions, and high line noise from about 10 AM until dark, so I apologize
to stations that called and were not heard.  I actually didn't operate at all
for about 3 hours Saturday afternoon and 4 hours on Sunday because of line
noise.  There seems to be less activity on all the bands and only one rover
from one grid worked from here- thanks Mike.  I'm still trying to find a
receive combination that allows me to copy anything within about 20 KHz of a
couple of mountain toppers LOS and pinning the S meter.  No good with the
FT-736R.  No good with the TS-790A.  Next I'll try an Elecraft transverter and
K2 or SDR-1500.  Between the inability to hear much on my best band, 2M, with
the overloading here and my reduced ability to focus at age 71, I fear my VHF
contest days are coming to a close after 55 years of operating weak signal VHF
and VHF contests. Still, I had fun and hope you did too.