[3830] TxQP K5LH SO CW LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] TxQP K5LH SO CW LP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 25 Sep 2011 14:39:12 -0700
                    Texas QSO Party

Call: K5LH
Operator(s): K5LH
Station: K5LH

Class: SO CW LP
QTH: TX
Operating Time (hrs): 18

  160:    0     0       0
   80:   37     0       0
   40:  224     0       0
   20:  112     0       0
   15:   39     0       0
   10:    1     0       0
    6:    0     0       0
    2:    0     0       0
  UHF:
----------------------------
Total:  413     0       0  Mults = 165  Total Score = 213,435

Club: HOTDXS

Comments:

What a difference a year makes!  Down 25-35 percent in every category, with the
same set-up and same operating strategy!  Being located in the center of TX can
be either a blessing or a curse with.  Last year it was a blessing, this year a
curse.  Ground wave too short to pick up even nearby mobiles, sky wave too long
to work most mobiles on 40 or 20.  May have to reconfigure my inverted V
40-meter dipole for better results.  No problem on 80 meters with a horizontal
dipole.  Under these circumstances the guys with the big guns win.

But what a turnout on CW!  It was a sheer delight to hear the bands light up
with TX stations both fixed and mobile.  Seems as if Gill County decided to
make this its TXQP weekend.  Hope you do well in the standings.

Cudos to the mobiles for fishing my signals out of the QRM and QRN.  Best ears
go to W3DYA, then N5TM, NO5W, N4CD, N5NA, W0BH, KU5B, WD5IYT, N3BB, N5DO, and
W5LCC.

Working N6MU is always a special pleasure and we went all the way to 10 meters
with solid signals between TX and CA in the first hour of the contest.  Another
delight and surprise was hearing and working my old classmate and friend DK2OY
(Manfred, Manny, Ed) on 15.  We went to school together in Germany in the
1960s, he ending up with the call DK2OY and I with DK5LH.  Just this past June
we had a wonderful lunch together in a restaurant in northern Germany
overlooking the Baltic Sea.  As a surprise, he and my other friends in DL had
organized for me a tour of DL0CS, the well-equipped club station nearby that
Manfred often uses for his activities.  Hope you gave him plenty of points from
TX.

Lastly, thanks to Chuck, NO5W, and his gang at NARS in Houston.  While I did
not work him as often as I usually do in the TQP, just posting the mobile
routes is a definite benefit for anyone in the contest.

Thanks for all the QSOs and a cherished experience.  Will see you next year for
an even more exiting TQP.

Chris, K5LH

Rig: Omni V (90 Watts), wire dipoles in my old Pecan trees, Aetherlog for Mac.