[3830] CQ WW RTTY W4UH SOAB(A) HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, w4uh@bellsouth.net
Subject: [3830] CQ WW RTTY W4UH SOAB(A) HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2011 07:35:19 -0700
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, RTTY

Call: W4UH
Operator(s): W4UH
Station: W4UH

Class: SOAB(A) HP
QTH: Florida
Operating Time (hrs): 39.5
Radios: SO2R

   80:  153   229       41      11    29
   40:  254   500       41      14    51
   20:  620  1048       52      28    65
   15:  538  1124       51      23    77
   10:  532  1327       30      25    73
Total: 2097  4228      215     101   295  Total Score = 2,583,308

Club: Florida Contest Group

Comments:

What a great RTTY contest! First of all, thanks to CQ Magazine for sponsoring
this contest and all of the hard work that Ed, W0YK puts into this one each
year. The conditions on 10 and 15 meters were awesome! It was a blast to gets
calls from all over the world on 10 meters without even moving the antennas.
The only bad conditions for me were the usual S9+20 static crashes on 40 and 80
meters for this time of year in SFL.

This was a real test for me and my station! I expected to be exhausted, but I
do feel I did a little better with the fatigue than expected. I did have
several issues with my station that cost me a few hours of good solid runs. As
soon as I got into a good run rate and rhythm several times my computer would
lock up with a run time error and I would be off the air for 5 minutes getting
everything back up and working again and then I had to find new run
frequencies. Also had a problem with one of my Alpha 89s dropping off line
about 8-10 times without me noticing for sometime. Low power does work but it
sure did affect my run rate until I noticed that it was tripped. I could never
find a reason for the trips, but it went away on Sunday.

My results were much lower than my goal was for sure, but no excuses! The lower
score problem was with me and not the conditions or equipment problems. This was
to be a learning lesson for me with SO2R and 48 hours and it sure was. It had
been 25+ years since I had worked a full time effort in a 48 hours contest.
Lesson 1: I am getting too old for 48 hours. Lesson 2: Do not try to change
things when the station is running in the Dueling CQ mode. I caused a few
issues there and several periods of off of the air to get things working again.
Lesson 3: I spent way too much time looking for multipliers and not using the
advantage of SO2R. As it turned out most rare ones called me, go figure!

Overall this contest was a blast! 10m was awesome, lots of activity, good
operators, and I increased my SO2R experience a lot. Thanks so much to everyone
for all of the contacts it was very much appreciated!

73,
Dan W4UH