[3830] TxQP NC4KW(N1LN) Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, bemeier@bellsouth.net
Subject: [3830] TxQP NC4KW(N1LN) Single Op HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2011 18:25:32 -0700
                    Texas QSO Party

Call: NC4KW
Operator(s): N1LN
Station: N1LN

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: NC
Operating Time (hrs): 15
Radios: SO2R

  160:
   80:    6
   40:   20     75
   20:  200    203
   15:    9
   10:
    6:
    2:
  UHF:
----------------------------
Total:  235    278      0  Mults = 184  Total Score = 248,024

Club: North Carolina Kilo Watts

Comments:

Another fun weekend of TQP is behind us for the 2011 year. The mobiles were able
to keep the activity up during most of the contest. That was a good thing as the
propagation between North Carolina and Texas was not as anticipated, so the
original band and radio plan was change only 45 minutes after the start.  Plan
A was based on the assumption that most activity would be on 40 mtrs and 20
mtrs, so at the start the K3s/Amps were configured accordingly.  However, as 40
meters was void of any Texas signals, the plan changed.  Plan B was to have one
K3/Amp on 20 SSB and the other K3/Amp on 20CW.  The towers/antennas are about
145â?? apart and when the antennas are pointed toward Texas, the booms are
exactly parallel to each other.  When running legal limit the rig to rig
interference was almost non-existent.  GO ELECRAFT â?" WELL DONE!

Although I tried many times to get a run going on 20cw, it was not to be had. I
was able to get a few short runs on 20ssb, but even that had some difficulty.
When I called CQ, every call ended with â??LOOKING FOR ANY STATION IN TEXASâ??.
I guess that was not clear enough as calls continued to come in from all over
the country, and â?" fortunately, some from Texas. My best run had to wait
until after dinner, 2330 UTC, when the NC TX path on 40 finally opened.  So
Saturday night I was able to move between 40 and 20 and even made a few Qs on
80. However, when Saturday ended I was well behind last years QSO total, mult
count and score. Sunday had to be very productive if I was going to catch up.
Sunday morning I started on 40 and 20. After a short 10 or 12 Qs 40 was gone
again. So, it was time to go back to plan B. Fortunately the Mobile stations
were going strong and, for the most part, in all new counties, so the
multiplier count continued to rise. I even tried 15cw a couple of times. I
found Dave, N5DO, there and his signal was stronger than on 20. But as the
action was minimal it was back to 20 cw and ssb.  By the end of TQP I was still
well below my 2010 totals in all categories with my final score down by over
113,000 points.

Thanks to the Texas Mobiles for the Qs and bonus points. My posted score
includes 16,000 bonus points.

NO5W â?" 32
N5NA â?" 22
N5DO â?" 19
N5TM â?" 18
W3DTY â?" 18
W0BH â?" 16
WD5IYT â?" 14
KK5W â?" 12
KK2Z â?" 7
KD5HCV â?" 7
K5JX â?" 7
WB0TEV â?" 7
N3BB â?" 6
KU5B - 5

I would also like to thank Chuck, NO5W, for all the time he spends promoting,
scoring, communicating and traveling around Texas to make TQP a success.
Additionally, I would like to thank the NARS club for once again sponsoring the
TQP.

73, Bruce  N1LN
(aka NC4KW)