[3830] CaQP 6Y6U(W1UE) SOFixed HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, w1ue@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] CaQP 6Y6U(W1UE) SOFixed HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Mon, 3 Oct 2011 07:29:06 -0700
                    California QSO Party

Call: 6Y6U
Operator(s): W1UE
Station: 6Y1V

Class: SOFixed HP
QTH: 6Y
Operating Time (hrs): 23
Radios: SO2R

  160:    0      0
   80:   31     10
   40:   68    122
   20:   68    121
   15:   93    242
   10:   47    252
    6:    0      0
    2:    0      0
--------------------

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

Another great CQP is in the books!  I had the opportunity to stay a little
longer here in Jamaica, so took advantage of the 1 week difference between CQWW
RTTY and CQP and managed to get both contests in.

Goals in this one were simple: I wanted to be the first DX station to win a
bottle of that great CQP wine!  Sub goals were a sweep, 1000 Qs, and a top 5
finish.  Made the sweep, the 1000s Qs, but don't yet know about the finish!

Had a number of problems this weekend.  14 power outages on Sunday, all lasting
less than 10 seconds; each power outage required a minimum of 3 minutes to
reboot the computer, restart the computers, etc.  A thunderstorm Sunday
afternoon at 2000Z took me off the air for almost an hour; it seemed to pass
right over us, with the time lag between the lightning and the boom in several
cases being less than 2 seconds.  Still, the station survived intact; since I
had no particularly desire to be fried in Jamaica, I turned everything off and
disconnected everything.

10 and 15M were so good that Cal participation suffered on all the other bands;
there was no one to run on 40M when the running is usually very good from
Massachusetts, as they were still on the high bands.  20M seemed to be open all
day, but no one was home.

I had gone into the contest thinking that, being a DX station, I would be
bothered by stations outside California calling during the contest; that turned
out to be the case, as about 300 stations outside Cal were logged during the
contest.  What I hadn't expected was the number of requests for my county;
since I was a "6", ops put me in Cal and not in 6Y.  I hate to discourage them,
but the CQ that included "California Only" was the only way to stem the tide.
Last two counties worked were Colusa and Merced; I was on 40M before I worked
my first Merced.  Did wind up working 4 other ops there, but it was 0130Z
before I got the sweep.

Another highlight of the contest was a QSO from KF5MUN.  He is a 10 year old
lad in Texas, and I was his first QSO.  He came on, gave his call, and I did
reply to it knowing he wasn't in Cal, because he sounded so young, and I
stopped contesting for a few minutes to give the lad his first QSO.  His dad
came on afterword and said that I really made his day.  I'll be sure to send
him a QSL so that he can always remember his first QSO.

All in all, another satisfying CQP weekend.  I'll be sure to be on again next
year, but probably not from 6Y!  BTW, if you're interested in antennas, etc.
you can get the full station rundown by googling 6Y1V.

Dennis 6Y6U