[3830] NyQP N2WLS M/MSSB LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, n2wls@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] NyQP N2WLS M/MSSB LP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 16 Oct 2011 18:22:41 -0700
                    New York QSO Party

Call: N2WLS
Operator(s): N2WLS KC2QZF
Station: N2WLS

Class: M/MSSB LP
QTH: Allegany County, NY
Operating Time (hrs): 11

  160:
   80:         131
   40:         256
   20:          31
   15:
   10:
    6:
    2:
  222:
  432:
----------------------------
Total:   0     418      0  Mults = 82  Total Score = 34,694

Club:

Comments:

Despite cold weather, constant rain, and high wind warnings in WNY, Steve
(KC2QZF) and I were able to pull off another successful contest.  In response
to relatively low turnout in previous NYQP years for Allegany County, we opted
to hitch up the RVs and head to a campground outside of Angelica, NY.  We
actually scoped out the campground about a month prior to the contest and got
the "OK" from the owners to setup antennas, etc.  It's difficult enough to
explain ham radio to non-hams, but it's even harder to explain contesting.
Luckily the campground owner was somewhat familiar because one of their
seasonals is a ham operator (who incidentally we worked during the contest
while he was at a different QTH!).

Steve spent most of the contest on 80M and 20M via his IC-7000 and an 80M
dipole at a NVIS-friendly height.  I spent most of my time on 40M via my
TS-2000 and a 40M dipole.  Steve was able to find enough room to somehow string
up the two dipoles as cross-polarized within the bounds of "a campsite" (or two)
(maybe three) (and a campground roadway).

Despite our best efforts, some of the 80M RF was making its way back into the
camper.  We tried both chokes and line isolators to no avail.  At least this
time our router didn't keep rebooting every time we keyed up (as in our past
roving exploits during a certain January VHF contest)... Just don't ask us how
our computer mice worked while 80M was in use.  80M was a bit dry early on in
the contest thanks to those friendly sunspots.  We did both note an abnormally
high number of stations calling us that were dupes.  Otherwise there were no
significant oddities.  We even worked a couple of 5W QRP's from across the
state -- that may be my next category to try and tackle!

A big thank you to the rovers and mobiles out there - we appreciate your
efforts to activate the rare counties.  We ended up with 53 out of the 62 NY
counties -- did anyone find the Bronx on the air?

Thanks RDXA for another fine year!