[3830] CQWW SSB K7ZB(@AB7E) M/S LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, xdavid@cis-broadband.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW SSB K7ZB(@AB7E) M/S LP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 30 Oct 2011 22:23:00 -0700
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB

Call: K7ZB
Operator(s): K7ZB, AB7E
Station: AB7E

Class: M/S LP
QTH:
Operating Time (hrs): 18

  160:
   80:
   40:   20     7       13
   20:  128    26       74
   15:  184    27       86
   10:  278    24       80
------------------------------

Club: Arizona Outlaws Contest Club

Comments:

I hadn't seen my old friend K7ZB in a few years, so his visit turned into a very
casual contest operation as we spent much of the weekend chatting and enjoying
the great Arizona weather.  Even the 18 hours we show in the log were less than
a serious effort.  The band conditions were great, though, and we had so much
fun on 15m and 10m that we never tried to optimize out score by chasing
contacts or multipliers on the other bands, and almost everything we worked was
just via S&P.  All in all, it was simply great fun.

Trashy signals in SSB contests are my everlasting pet gripe, and of course
there was no end to them in this contest (from all over the world).  I always
find it incredible to be unable to decipher an trashy S9+20 signal in the clear
while being able to pull out a clean S3 signal from QRM.  The worst stateside
station I heard this time was from N8TR who was splattering all over the place
on 10 meters.  I politely tried to bring that to the attention of the operator
who replied that it must be because I was off the back of his beam.  ((huh??)
I told him that didn't make any sense and that it sounded like his mic gain was
way too high.  He said that couldn't possibly be the case because he already had
his mic gain set to zero.  (double huh??)  That pretty much calibrated me on who
I was talking to and I gave up.

73,
Dave   AB7E