[3830] CQWW SSB K3PP SOAB(A) HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW SSB K3PP SOAB(A) HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2011 07:25:54 -0700
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB

Call: K3PP
Operator(s): K3PP
Station: K3PP

Class: SOAB(A) HP
QTH: Palmerton, PA (EPA)
Operating Time (hrs): 36.5

  160:   33     8       15
   80:   65    15       44
   40:  153    26       79
   20:  474    39      111
   15:  463    37      133
   10: 1087    35      138
------------------------------

Club: Frankford Radio Club

Comments:

God, it's good to have 10m back!

This was my best contest ever! Tops in QSOs, tops in score, and tops in rate. I
wish I could have done more, but a grueling work schedule didn't leave enough
gas in the tank and my low band performance was dreadful.

We fared well from the snowstorm. We only lost power for a short
20-second-or-so glitch and it was then solid for the whole weekend. This is
astonishing, since we are atop a hill in the boonies. People all over our area
are still out and will be for days! Sad to see so many contest operations cut
short, especially with the best condx in eons!

Downers: My Tic-Ring holding the 20m yagi was stuck all weekend. Luckily, it
was stuck towards EU and central Asia! That the best scenario in such a case! I
tried a new antenna (Half-Square) for 80m to improve my performance there. It
was always a weakness of mine. It was a risk that didn't pan out. I was awful
on 80m. I can't blame the antenna, though. Modeling suggests it should work. I
blame my installation, so I'll have to fix that. I was awful on 160m too.
Because of how I had to arrange the half-square, it's too close to my 160m
Inv-L. The apparent I have to make some changes before CW weekend!

This was a SO1R effort. There were times when I really could have used a second
radio. I have much of the hardware to do that, but key pieces are either still
missing or faulty. This is another thing I need to fix.

All in all, it was a great weekend, aside from the pain in my ears from all
that SSB QRM! Running on 10m was heavenly! I had the Last-10 rate meter over
400 a few times. I have to evaluate my log to see how I did on a best hour
basis.

The incoming scores are just mind-boggling! It looks as if my 4.5 Meg won't be
enough for a Top Ten finish! We'll see.

THANK YOU to everyone!!
VY 73 de Glenn K3PP