[3830] CQWW SSB C4Z(5B4AIZ) SOSB/15 LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW SSB C4Z(5B4AIZ) SOSB/15 LP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sat, 5 Nov 2011 12:38:53 -0700
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB

Call: C4Z
Operator(s): 5B4AIZ
Station: 5B4AIZ

Class: SOSB/15 LP
QTH: Mazotos
Operating Time (hrs):

  160:
   80:
   40:
   20:
   15: 1107    33      101
   10:
------------------------------
Total: 1107    33      101  Total Score = 400,000

Club: Chiltern DX Club

Comments:

Much improved cndx didn't seem to help we low power op's. The splatter and wide
sigs were unchanged. I don't think too much notice was taken of the 'Power'
debate we saw on 3830 shortly before the contest! I wkd pretty well all of
daylight hours with attenuator full in plus rf gain and volume cntrl backed off
some. With ssb when a high power stn wants your qrg  one may as well concede
quickly and move on frustrating though it may be. It makes you treasure those
golden 5 or 6 minute moments running at 4 per minute because that'a all you
get.

About 150 more q's than last year with mlt's about the same. Heared all zones
except 37 (never  missed that before) also never had such a long list of missed
countries called but not reached and I still continue to be amazed how I can
spend 24 hours + on one band over two days and not come across many of the big
hitters who make big scores on the band. The thing is to  get a decent score
you need to run and get a 'rate' whenever you get the opportunity as S&P'ing is
a slow business for low power op's so whenever you come across a 'hole' you need
to squeeze in there and cq for as long as it lasts and then start over. Whilst
all of this is going on guys you haven't wkd are joining and leaving the band
so I do wonder sometimes when I see claims for 40 zones with big q counts and
high country claims who do not register 'assistance'. On the other hand the
'assisted categories' have lost their stigma and are now seeing great support,
so that is encouraging for we diehard traditionalists.

As has been sa5d many times in these reports cndx were great, best ever for me
into the Pacific with 4 KH6 when I am normally grateful to catch one, plus E5 &
ZK2 all with 100 watts and a simple tribander makes me think just how great it
would be if this contest could be made low power in higher sunspot years.
Before you say 'Oh yeah' to that, I would say that the same people will still
win in pretty much the same order, the WRTC events give testimony to that. The
scores would be surprisingly high as we would all hear so much more.

Band cndx for thw cw leg so often do not live up to those enjoyed for the ssb
weekend, so let us hope this year will be different.

(My score is a close guestimate as I made a few contacts on 20 Mtrs too),

73 BrIan 5B4AIZ. (C4Z)