[3830] SS CW NH2T(N2NL) SO Unlimited HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] SS CW NH2T(N2NL) SO Unlimited HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 6 Nov 2011 17:11:23 -0800
                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, CW

Call: NH2T
Operator(s): N2NL
Station: N2NL

Class: SO Unlimited HP
QTH: Guam
Operating Time (hrs): 9

------------
  160:
   80:
   40:   37
   20:    3
   15:  341
   10:   85
------------

Club: Florida Contest Group

Comments:

I wasn't planning on participating at first, but fired up a log for NH2T when I
found conditions were really good.  Guam is located 3,800 miles farther from
North America than Hawaii, yet we count as part of the same ARRL section.  For
comparison, this is almost 700 miles greater than the driving distance between
Boston and Los Angeles.  I'm not looking for a change; it's rare that someone
as insane as I am decides to get on in Sweepstakes from here.  I suppose the
ARRL could look into the idea should they want to cut back on the number of
Sweep pins they have to ship annually.

Since it is pointless to try to be competitive, I figured I'd try to get the
sweep.  74 sections, including VY1, came easily.  A few more came on 40m
following my sunset at 08z.  I was left with NL (awesome suffix!) Monday
morning my time.  VO1 is a 7000 mile path over the pole from here, but it would
not be impossible with conditions.  I found one early on 10m, but as he started
to build, he was spotted and my chances were gone as soon as the NCCC packet
horde descended upon him.  I spent the 2130-2230z peak CQing on 15m, the band
with the best chances, but none called in even though I worked six MAR stations
this weekend.  Later, I found him on 20m - not ideal propagation - but again he
was spotted so I shut off the radio with 79 sections in the log.  Very
disappointing, but I'm even more appreciative that VY1EI, VO1HP, and others in
rare sections continue put up with the chaos that comes with packet to help
give many the sweep.

Many thanks to the W3LPL-2 robot packet skimmer who tirelessly spotted me and
my KH6 counterparts all afternoon Saturday.  Apparently the robot took Sunday
off to watch his buddies on FOX sports football which may have hurt my chances
with working the last mult.

Thanks for all who called and pulled me out of the noise - Unless you were in
KH6 and maybe KL7, I was your best DX.  From that aspect, it was kind of fun
being somewhat unique.

See you in WWCW!

73, Dave (NOT ns2t)