[3830] SS CW K4RO Single Op QRP

To: 3830@contesting.com, k4ro@k4ro.net
Subject: [3830] SS CW K4RO Single Op QRP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 6 Nov 2011 22:01:52 -0800
                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, CW

Call: K4RO
Operator(s): K4RO
Station: K4RO

Class: Single Op QRP
QTH: TN
Operating Time (hrs): 24
Radios: SO2R

------------
  160:    0
   80:  169
   40:  227
   20:  256
   15:   92
   10:   69
------------

Club: Tennessee Contest Group

Comments:

Another SS in the books. Managed the full 24 again, despite some really nagging
ringing in my ears. I also have some bad line noise problems, and no sign of
pending help from the utility company at this point. Fortunately, I didn't
work as many really weak guys, on account of they could not hear me at all.
I always love those guys who say "5W?" or "LOUD QRP." I sure hope I'm loud.
:-)
I didn't feel that way on 80M this year. BTW, my watt meters are calibrated
to an Alpha 4510 (the most accurate meter that I have access to.) Forward
power is always set to 5 watts or less, regardless of reflected power.

There's just nothing like the CW SS, and it's one contest that I really look
forward to every year. Running QRP is a special kind of torture. I don't
know why I keep coming back to it year after year. One of these days I'll have
had enough, but for now I'm working on a record of second-place QRP finishes.
I knew I was in trouble whenever I heard W7RM. I figured that op was either
Tree, or Chip returning as the ghost of SS past. Congratulations to OM Tree.
K5NZ was exactly even with me when we worked, and I was always kept motivated
by the other crazy QRP ops who were either just ahead or just behind me.
It's good to see more ops going full time in the
bang-your-head-against-the-wall
category.

The sweep didn't come until after 21 hours of operating, with VY1 the last.
I had better luck finding run frequencies this year. Band loading sure is
lighter when there are more than one or two choices for everyone. SO2R is
also a lot busier and more fun too. Despite much better high band conditions,
my score is actually lower than last year. I guess that's to be expected,
as I can really make hay here when 80 and 40 are the money bands. 80M was
way down from last year, and my hardware is the same. Long live Sweepstakes!

Log submitted.  Confirmation #: 4149150.arrl-ss-cw

See you all in the CQWW CW at the end of the month.

73, Kirk K4RO