[3830] SS CW N8II Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, n8ii@aol.com
Subject: [3830] SS CW N8II Single Op HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Mon, 7 Nov 2011 09:13:27 -0800
                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, CW

Call: N8II
Operator(s): N8II
Station: N8II

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: WV
Operating Time (hrs): ~9

------------
  160:    0
   80:   24
   40:  198
   20:  241
   15:   49
   10:   52
------------

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

I feel a bit older than I should, having trouble sleeping and more tired with
same effort (climbing tower comes to mind). I needed to replace my 30 year old
rotator cable and was up the tower to cut and retrieve 7 pin plug Monday. Just
too tired to wire it before Saturday despite some easy days at work, so started
the job at 1330Z Saturday and didn't finish up until 2030Z with few odd
maintenance jobs thrown in. I was feeling tired enough that I knew operating
would be pushing it, so took off until around 13Z Sunday. The body was
rebelling after the tower/antenna work, so not a real restful night.

I kept pretty busy running most of the time I was on the air. Ran on 40 for
quick 100 Q's in about an hour, back on after breakfast for 200 more mostly
running on 20. I took a long break Sunday afternoon including walking dog and
XYL, and clean up of XYL's car. Around 22Z seemed to be the nadir of activity
for the day, I couldn't sustain a run on 40,20,or 15, a good time to take time
off if you need to! I mostly avoided 15 to avoid throngs of those northern CA
contest types, it seemed to be at least partially effective, no offense
intended. The sections didn't come easily in the short time I had, so did some
quick S&P's which paid off. Years of SS experience is invaluable for mult
searching without sacrificing much rate. K0NE in NE called in on 40 for section
79 around 2330Z, so didn't get stupid and troll 20 beaming VO land for NL
wasting Q's, but did troll around 40 to no avail as well as calling CQ's in
extra band which yielded a decent rate. Sweeps do come harder on CW, no big
deal. I spent last moments on 80 which was quiet, but signals were down from
years past as well, the new normal I suppose. QRT'ed at 0130Z. Thank you for
your support, most ops pretty decent, I was sending fast enough to make it
tough for a few, but did slow down a few times.

73, Jeff