[3830] CQWW SSB VE7IO M/M LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW SSB VE7IO M/M LP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 20 Nov 2011 16:52:24 -0800
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB

Call: VE7IO
Operator(s): VA7BIT, VA7BWG, VA7GL, VE7AXU, VE7FO, VE7HA, VE7IO, VE7OFH, VE7SM,
VE7SSD, VE7WJ
Station: VE7IO

Class: M/M LP
QTH:
Operating Time (hrs):

  160:    0     0        0
   80:  137     7        7
   40:   99    17       12
   20:   75    30       21
   15:  110    35       29
   10:  105    49       29
------------------------------
Total:  526   138       98  Total Score = 297,124

Club: ORCA DX and Contest Club

Comments:

VE7FO's Newbies Spook The Bands on the Hallowe'en Weekend

VE7IO and VE7FO have undertaken an HF Operator training program for our club.
All the newbies have tickets but most have little to no HF experience.  As
they're all expected to be able to handle NTS traffic in the event of an
emergency we figured there's no better way to train them to get the info right
and get it the first time than by getting them into contesting.

We had 10 newbies signed up for this but only 8 could make it.  Each op had a
full-time mentor (IO or FO) and received a thorough briefing on the S&P and Run
protocols while listening to stations running.  After a couple of demo Qs by the
mentor they dove in.

Before the contest we ran an N1MM classroom training session.  It consisted of
them listening to K5ZD audio and attempting to log the Qs as if they were K5ZD.
 They were given instruction on how to get N1MM running on their computers at
home and were told where to find the K5ZD files.  The hope was that, on the
day, after a bit of S&P we could get them running.  Well, that didn't happen -
presumably because they didn't have time to do their homework.  Oh well, they
did show up.

Most didn't do any running but a couple did.  Next time.

Altogether they worked 73 distinct countries in all Continents.  They, of
course, had no idea that cndx were the best they've been in many years.  Now I
have to explain to them that 10m isn't always as good as this.

This is a formal training program so we'll be in a number of contests over the
season.  If we can pull it together in time the next one will be ARRL SS SSB.
Good training for filling in the NTS message preamble.

73, Jim  VE7FO