[3830] SS SSB KE3X Multi-Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, kenlow7@aol.com
Subject: [3830] SS SSB KE3X Multi-Op HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 20 Nov 2011 19:15:51 -0800
                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, SSB

Call: KE3X
Operator(s): KE3X, K2PS
Station: KE3X

Class: Multi-Op HP
QTH: Washington, DC
Operating Time (hrs): 24

------------
  160:
   80:  306
   40:  415
   20:  231
   15:   68
   10:  117
------------

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

We had a dinner party to attend Saturday night, so many thanks to Pete Stafford,
K2PS for coming over and operating the first 7 hours of this contest, so I was
free to score some 'XYL Points' and we could still maximize the score for PVRC
via a 'take-turns' Multi-Single.

We had some nice runs on 20-M and 40-M on the second afternoon and evening,
with the rate meter briefly up to 150 or so, which is new territory for this
station, so happy overall.   Also the 28.300 - 28.500 mhz range served up some
good rates.

This weekend was the 'shakedown cruise' for SSB contesting at KE3X - no
surprise some issues surfaced:

- an 8-pin connector on the DX Doubler interface cable failed 2 minutes into
the contest, so the goal of SO2R went out the window
- still short one 8874 tube for the Alpha 78, so no 2nd amp anyway
- continue to have RF problems with the Yamaha boom mic
- only got the DVK working well on Sunday, so Pete nearly lost his voice on
Saturday night calling CQ the old-fashioned way (sorry Pete!)

Dumbass moment:  while I was using the second FT-1000MP to calculate band
change strategy on Sunday, I forgot I had left it on the 20-meter dipole ...
next thing I knew I was beaming 1200 Watts from radio 1 on the same band from
the tribander right through it from 15-feet away.   This 'high power SO2R'
stuff is starting to get expensive (although cheaper than drag racing, from
what I hear ...)

Go PVRC!

Ken KE3X