[3830] SS SSB N8IE Single Op QRP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] SS SSB N8IE Single Op QRP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2011 05:48:11 -0800
                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, SSB

Call: N8IE
Operator(s): N8IE
Station: N8IE

Class: Single Op QRP
QTH: OH
Operating Time (hrs): 12

------------
  160:
   80:
   40:
   20:
   15:
   10:
------------

Club: Mad River Radio Club

Comments:

Hello all,
Iâ??ve had the honor of winning the GLD SSB QRP Sweeps from 2003 to 2008. My
station is a modest one, a Kenwood TS-570 with a Butternut HF-9V, 130â??
Inverted Vee, and a Mosley TA-33 Jr. on the garage roof.

Iâ??ve never been a threat to break any division records that belongs to the
folks running QRP from a contest station with multiple towers and large Yagi
arrays. But none the less Iâ??ve had fun and enjoyed the streak. All that came
to an end in 2009 when I started having seizures out of the blue, my first was
5 days after my birthday in January, since then Iâ??ve had about half a dozen
more. This took me completely out of Ham Radio for a year and Iâ??m just now
getting back to where I can begin to try contesting again. Now Iâ??ve never
been a â??Big Gunâ?? but I have made little splashes in the pool and had a
blast doing it, I even picked up a few plaques and certificates along the way.

This year I have decided to give it a go again, I have no delusions of winning
anything but for me just sitting in front of the radio and making contest
contacts again is a major accomplishment for me. To my surprise I actually did
fairly well. I managed to get a Sweep! I was down to three sections Sunday
afternoon, EB, NNJ, and RI. I found one EB station calling and after 30 minutes
I snagged him! South Carolina was a gift, I heard him calling and working a pile
up on 20M, timing was everything as I called him after the main din of voices
and he heard me. That took me down to RI. I was extremely lucky to snag him
also on 20M after a time of calling him. Finally a gap opened and he heard me.
I yelled SWEEP! And my daughter thought screamed with me (sheâ??s not into the
whole Ham Radio thing but she knew how important it is to me so she was as
happy for the old man). So there I was with all 80 in the log and about 30 or
so short of 300 Qâ??s. I decided to hang in there and go for it, but getting
those late Sunday was no easy task, I had to bounce between 20 and 40 meters a
LOT. With number 301 in the log I was very happy and content. Congrats to all
the other QRP runners, I heard some good numbers out there.

72, 73 and Happy Holidays de Dan, N8IE ..