[3830] SS SSB WB1GQR(W1SJ) SO Unlimited HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, w1sj@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] SS SSB WB1GQR(W1SJ) SO Unlimited HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2011 17:06:21 -0800
                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, SSB

Call: WB1GQR
Operator(s): W1SJ
Station: WB1GQR

Class: SO Unlimited HP
QTH: Vermont
Operating Time (hrs): 24

------------
  160:
   80:  758
   40:  274
   20:  535
   15:   54
   10:  366
------------

Club: Radio Amateurs Of Northern Vermont

Comments:

The bad news: I just missed 2 kiloQSO's in the SS.
The good news: I just missed 2 kiloQSO's in the SS!
I've never come that close before!!

Wow! What a weekend!
Conditions were great, no doubt about that.  But I've operated in good
conditions before and never did this well. A big part of this was having every
one of my band changes work out. In the past, I've had my share of great hours,
only to see it get flushed down after a couple of bad hours. In this contest,
the start on 20-10 meters, the overnight on 80 meters and Sunday on 20 and then
10 meters were all great. And for my last hour, I got a notion to pass up on my
familiar haunts on 80 or 20 meters and jump over to my nemesis band, 40 meters,
where I was treated to a great run, unlike the "beg for QSO's" routine that we
usually do at that hour.

After the antennas and skills are in place, it often boils down to guts &
luck!

I'll have to admit that being the only active CQing station in Vermont
certainly didn't hurt the rates. In fact, VT may have been rarer than NWT in
this one! On that note, I'd like to thank KH2RU, a non-contester, who got on
all afternoon to put PR on. If he didn't show up, there would have been a lot
less sweeps!