[3830] CQWW CW K5KG M/2 HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, georgek5kg@aol.com, fcg@kkn.net
Subject: [3830] CQWW CW K5KG M/2 HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 27 Nov 2011 16:07:33 -0800
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: K5KG
Operator(s): K5KG, WC4E, K8DSS, K4LQ, WD4AHZ
Station: K5KG

Class: M/2 HP
QTH: FL
Operating Time (hrs): 45

  160:   39    10       25
   80:  223    19       76
   40:  888    34      128
   20:  525    38      120
   15:  802    35      131
   10:  670    33      123
------------------------------

Club: Florida Contest Group

Comments:

FCG ops were Jeff, WC4E, Ed, K8DSS, Fred, K4LQ, Ron, WD4AHZ, and George, K5KG.
Also contributing to the operation were Charlie, K1XX, who loaned us a Six-Pak,
and Dan, K1TO, who helped with much needed antenna & rotor work.  We decided to
make this a Multi-two operation to maximize the score for the FCG.

Station Config:

â?¢ Elecraft K3 + Acom 2000A

â?¢ Icom 756ProIII + Acom 1010

â?¢ C31 @ 60â??

â?¢ 2 el 40 @ 75â??

â?¢ 6 el 10 @ 30â??

â?¢ SteppIR Big Vertical - The C31 and the 40m yagi are on the same mast and
rotor, so they always point in the same direction.  The SteppIR Big Vert,
therefore, was used as an alternate antenna for both stations on 20m and 40m to
provide directional flexibility.  The SteppIR Big Vertical was selectable on the
Six-Pak along with all the other antennas.

â?¢ 80m Inv Vee

â?¢ 160m Inv L

â?¢ K9AY Rx loop

â?¢ Six-Pak â?" this provided the much needed flexibility for changing antennas
between the two stations, and eliminated the headache of swapping feedlines
during the contest, especially at 3 am!

Contest highlights:

â?¢ No equipment or antenna failures, yea!

â?¢ No local noise, another yea!

â?¢ Impressive DXpedition operations.  138 separate DX operations were
announced on the NG3K web site.  In addition, hundreds or maybe thousands of
Little Pistols â?" who knows how many - turned out to nourish the bands and
keep the pileups going.  No wonder this weekend was such a blast!

â?¢ 160 m â?" We managed to eke out 39 Qâ??s on 160 in 25 countries in spite of
not being able to hear well.  The new inverted L works well as a tx antenna, but
the single rx loop is limiting.  Our QTH is too small for even a single
beverage, so we will be exploring other rx antenna options for the future.

â?¢ 80 m â?" We did better than expected on 80.  Condx on Friday evening were
outstanding.  For several hours, the European signals were very strong, and
sounded like what you hear on the higher bands.  Condx on Saturday night did
not seem as strong.

â?¢ 40 m - This was the money band; what else can I say?  34 zones, and 127
countries is a station best on 40.

â?¢ 20 m â?" In WW Phone, we had a zone sweep on 20m, and were hoping for
another one this weekend.  Unfortunately, we missed zones 26 and 28.
Otherwise, 20 was solid.

â?¢ 15m -  Excellent condx both days.

â?¢ 10m â?" We stayed on 10m all day long on Saturday and Sunday, using only
the 6 el 10m yagi at 30â?? on a ring rotor.  This left the C31 available for
the second station on 20m and 15m.  10m condx on both days were extremely good,
and reminiscent of past solar cycles.

Tnx to all.

73, George, K5KG