[3830] CQWW CW MD2C(MD0CCE) SOAB(A) HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, MD0CCE@yahoo.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW CW MD2C(MD0CCE) SOAB(A) HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 27 Nov 2011 16:53:53 -0800
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: MD2C
Operator(s): MD0CCE
Station: MD0CCE

Class: SOAB(A) HP
QTH: Isle of Man
Operating Time (hrs): 39

  160:  239    12       52
   80:  625    19       79
   40:  521    31      102
   20:  524    34      108
   15:  370    29      112
   10:  405    34      116
------------------------------

Club: Chiltern DX Club

Comments:

On the Isle of Man, when the wind forecast predicts strong gales, I have learned
through experience to crank the tower down and to take down the 160m-80m
vertical.  The forecast for this weekend included "Sea State - Phenomenal" in
the waters off the Scottish Islands (that's 40+ foot waves) and the tower was
duly cranked down to 40ft for the contest, which meant that the 40m antenna was
an inverted vee with the apex at 37 feet.  The 80m-160m vertical was up for the
first night, but left down on the ground for the peak winds on Saturday
night/Sunday AM, and then up for Sunday night as the winds abated before their
expected return on Monday.

Given the height handicap, it was decided to just have some fun in the contest
and see how conditions were.

The result was not my best score ever, but perhaps the most satisfying contest
yet - the most DXCCs worked (165) in all 40 Zones, with >100 countries on each
of 4 bands.  The really pleasant surprise was that more countries were worked
on 10m than any other band - quite a difference from the last five years or
more!  The result certainly reflects greatly improved conditions and the
tremendous participation that this contes enjoys around the world - what a
great contest!  I look forward to seeing some truly large scores from the top
competitors!

Having 10m open meant that stations were spread out a lot more - and I didn't
hear a single frequency fight in the whole contest - another difference from
contests in the recent past!

Thanks, as always, to the contest organizers for the hard work that is about to
start for them, and to all who called during the contest!

73
Bob

Rig:   FT-DX-9000D, Quadra Amp
20m-15m-10m Ant:  4-el SteppIR at about 40 ft
40m Ant:  Inverted Vee, apex at 37 feet
80m-160m Ant:  Titanex vertical