[3830] CQWW CW G3TXF SOSB/10 HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, nigel@G3TXF.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW CW G3TXF SOSB/10 HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2011 00:25:54 -0800
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: G3TXF
Operator(s): G3TXF
Station: G3TXF

Class: SOSB/10 HP
QTH: Devon
Operating Time (hrs): 25

  160:
   80:
   40:
   20:
   15:
   10: 2393    37      123
------------------------------
Total: 2393    37      123  Total Score = 862,720

Club: Chiltern DX Club

Comments:

Great to see 10m getting back to its former self, with worldwide DX available
for hours on end.

This year a 4-el 10m yagi was put up at 80ft just prior to the contest. On both
days the band started to come to life about one hour before our sunrise. However
the closing time for 10m was different on the two days. On Saturday the run to
the USA stopped at 1800z and by 1845z 10m had closed. However on the Sunday,
10m stayed open for a further sixty minutes with the last QSO being made at
1945z.

Although there were good runs to the USA, 10m conditions did not allow any runs
to JA either SP or LP. In fact Japan was difficult to work. There are only five
JAs in my log, as compared with 15 BY stations. [Years ago BY1PK and BY1QH were
the only game in town in China. Oh, how things have changed!].

In SOSB (un-Assisted) there is a need to do S&P to search for mults as well as
to spend much of the time running. However the number of DX stations who are
running pile-ups WITHOUT giving their call with every QSO seems to be on the
increase. This is probably be another side-effect of the Spots/Cluster
phenomenon whereby most (i.e Assisted) stations on the frequency at least think
they know the callsign of the DX station running the pile-up, whereas the
un-Assisted ops just have to wait until the DX-Contester deigns to give his
callsign. There were one or two major operations who were regularly just not
giving their callsign, until prompted to do so.

Three Zones were missed : 12 (no CE), 19 (no remote UA0) and 39 (just didn't
spend enough time looking).

Operated for 12 hours on Saturday and for 13 hours on Sunday. Win-Test tells me
that the best hour (14z-15z) on Saturday was 154 QSOs, whereas the best hour
(17z-18z) on Sunday was 177 QSOs.

Let's hope we have at least a couple of years with good (or even better)
conditions on 10m before the new sun-spot cycle peaks and then starts its
decline.

73 - Nigel G3TXF