[3830] CQWW CW N8UM SOAB(A) HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, n8um@comcast.net
Subject: [3830] CQWW CW N8UM SOAB(A) HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2011 13:58:18 -0800
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: N8UM
Operator(s): N8UM
Station: N8UM

Class: SOAB(A) HP
QTH: TN
Operating Time (hrs): 29.5

  160:
   80:  267    26       73
   40:  319    23       82
   20:  370    33       99
   15:  454    29       97
   10:  405    29       98
------------------------------

Club: Tennessee Contest Group

Comments:

100% Reverse Beacon Network search & pounce.  What a change in my operating
style over the last year with software and Internet advances.  Conditions went
from good to excellent on all bands.  It's hard to believe things will get
better over the next 18 months.  Even though the prop reports indicated condx
were fair I thought all bands were great.  80 meters was exceptionally quiet.
 I had a run of 27 JAs at sunrise on Sunday morning with only a single
vertical and K9AY loop.

China certainly is a sleeping giant.  At one point on Sunday morning, a rather
lengthy packet list on 40 meters was all BYs.  Unfortunately they still can't
hear the USA.  That will change fast.

Low points were working ST2AR (twice) on 20 meters and CN2R stopping the pileup
at the end of the contest on 40 meters to explain to me (at 40 wpm) we had
already worked...  I guess my software based operation is not perfect.  I
still think the 10 meter 4 square is not optimized, but the line score says it
is acceptable.

Rig here is a K3, Alpha 8410 (wait listed for a 9500) and Top Ten Devices
Decoder and antenna selector.  Win-Test and Reverse Beacon Network were bullet
proof all weekend.  Kudos to N4ZR and team for improving RBN performance (no
overload).  Antennas are ground mounted quarter wave spaced four squares for
40, 20, 15 and 10 meters.  Single quarter wave vertical on 80 (base loaded
with a coil on 160).  17 self supporting verticals in the woods in the one
acre back yard.  Radial field is 50,000 feet of wire laid (and repaired) on
the surface over the last 30 years.  The K9AY loop sits well down the hill in
the front yard.  All the 80 meter Q's were copied on the loop.

Thanks to my Wife Marcia, N4PXQ, for her patience and scheduling.