[3830] CQWW CW K8MFO SOAB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, k8mfo@aol.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW CW K8MFO SOAB HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2011 13:27:06 -0800
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: K8MFO
Operator(s): K8MFO
Station: K8MFO

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: Ohio
Operating Time (hrs): 30

  160:   39     9       16
   80:  141    19       64
   40:  357    28       94
   20:  344    35      104
   15:  436    33      105
   10:  946    28      107
------------------------------

Club: East Lansing DX Club

Comments:

I believe this should be an all time record score for a Christmas tree grower
and seller in Ohio.    Well, at least for my county!    Funny thing, many
people like to get their trees the weekend after Thanksgiving, and nothing,
neither hail, rain, or CQWW CW is going to interfere with their mission.   So
you set personal goals.   For me that usually means either 1000 QSOS or 1
million points, whichever comes first.   This year, with improved conditions on
10, I thought that Iâ??d shoot for 2 meg    Long story short is that I wound up
making 4.25 meg, with 30 hours spent in the chair, many hours spent lying on
the ground cutting trees for customers, and of course some sleeping time.  I
love the low bands, but usually one night is all that I care to endure any
more.

Others have mentioned the FAILURE TO IDENTIFY malady that was worse than ever
before!   With conditions as good as they were, why should anyone want to hang
around for someone to finally send his call?   Even if itâ??s a new multiplier,
you can easily make a few QSOs to make up for it.    Some thinking has gone
haywire, somewhere!    8P5A, P40W, the EL2A group among many other successful
scorers send their calls often.  That makes a lot of sense to me.

Used an Elecraft K-3, Ameritron AL-82, 160 inverted V, 80 inverted L, single
element Mosley rotary on 40m and a Mosley PRO-57A on 20, 15, and 10.
Apparently the PRO has a lightning torched reflector trap, which means 2:1 SWR
across 20 and 3:1 across 15.   Do you know what, though?   Not one DX station
seemed to notice!

My band totals may seem convoluted because of frequent interruptions, but I
achieved my main purpose in having a whole lot of FUN.    It was 52 years ago
when I first answered the bell for CQWW CW, and I made 7 QSOS.    They were
VP6RG (Barbados), TI2CAH, KZ5TD, YV4CI, K4CEF, TI2CMF (TI4CF today), and OQ5IG
in the Belgian Congo.    I didnâ??t want to press the competition too hard, so
I quit at that point.   It was a ball then, and it still is.   THANKS to
everyone who made such beautiful CW.

73    Don K8MFO