[3830] SS SSB W4AAA(KK9A) Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, john@kk9a.com
Subject: [3830] SS SSB W4AAA(KK9A) Single Op LP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Fri, 2 Dec 2011 02:39:24 -0800
                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, SSB

Call: W4AAA
Operator(s): KK9A
Station: KK9A

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: North Carolina
Operating Time (hrs): 23.8

------------
  160:
   80:  418
   40:  433
   20:  386
   15:  212
   10:    1
------------

Club:

Comments:

Contest conditions were tough in North Carolina this year. 80m, which is an
essential band for me, was noisy and did not produce anywhere near the QSO
total that it has in previous years. 40m was crowded and with the upper portion
filled with broadcast stations it was hard for a low power station to maintain a
clear frequency. 20m was full of very strong signals but somehow it never
produced any high rates. 15m had some very nice openings to the west, but it
produced no lasting runs. Unfortunately I do not have a 10m antenna up and I
likely missed some QSOs because of this.  With the slow rates I was able to
hunt for multipliers early and I found all but Saskatchewan and Puerto Rico
before taking my first beak.  On the Sunday morning I worked Saskatchewan,
however by late afternoon I still had not heard a Puerto Rican station. Finally
I tuned across 10m looking for this elusive multiplier and I heard NP4A.  He had
a number of stations calling him and I monitored this while running on 15m and
20m hoping that he would QSY to 15m. He continued to stay on 10m for what
seemed like hours.   His pileup eventually diminished and out of desperation I
tried calling him using my 15m beam with the transceiver power reduced to 25
watts. I was amazed when he came back to my first call. Working all 80 sections
with only hours left was very exciting! Thanks for the QSOs.  Please QSL via
WD9DZV

73,

John KK9A / P40A