[3830] CQWW CW EL2A M/2 HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, aa7a@cox.net
Subject: [3830] CQWW CW EL2A M/2 HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Fri, 2 Dec 2011 14:18:49 -0800
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: EL2A
Operator(s): AA7A, G4BWP, KC7V, KY7M, N7CW
Station: EL2A

Class: M/2 HP
QTH: Morovia, Liberia
Operating Time (hrs): 47

  160:    6     4        6
   80:  125    15       37
   40: 2015    31      105
   20: 2589    37      124
   15: 2669    38      134
   10: 2435    32      105
------------------------------

Club:

Comments:

This year's operation by the VooDoo Contest Group was an interesting
challenge...on many fronts. We received licenses only one day before departure.
Our team was reduced to five ops at the last moment. Our team arrived with one
missing bag (our 80 and 160 verticals toured Africa over the CQWW DX weekend).
The hotel guests consumed our "unlimited minutes" on our internet connection
and we had no internet capability after the first day of the contest. There is
no commercial power in Liberia and the hotel had to cool off its generators
from time to time during the contest leaving the station silent at times.

However, our ultralight contest station performed well. We made over 100,000
points per pound of luggage weight with our contest station. Our makeshift
80/160 antennas that we installed the day before the contest was well below our
normal standards and eliminated us from the competition.

Station: K3 (2), Alpha 76PA, KPA500

Antennas:
160 - inverted V at 60' made of #30 wire
 80 - inverted V at 60' (sharing coax with 160 antenna)
 40 - 2 element vertical array roof mounted
 20 - 2 element delta loop beam fixed north
 15 - 2 element moxon at 70'
 10 - 2 element moxon at 70'

The runs were fabulous on the HF bands. After five straight years of operating
CQWW with no sunspots, it was nice to see the higher bands so very much alive.

The VooDoo Contest Group has operated in West Africa for 17 straight years. The
team has amassed a massive collection of equipment in Africa that is used to
assemble a competitive station days CQWW DX CW contest weekend. We are seeing
that is getting to be almost impossible to continue this method of operating in
the future. For the past three years, the team has resorted to operations which
are based upon stations that are assembled with material pulled out of our
suitcases. This years entire station fit into four checked bags (all less than
50 pounds) and a few carry on bags. This may be the look of this contest group
going forward. We are still trying to extract the large collection of radio
gear that is currently in 9L (resulting from a nail-biting, last second
extraction that was pulled off in October 2010) and move it into EL for a 2012
operation but it is getting close to the wire.

The VooDoo Contest Group proudly accepts this challenging operating style and
intends to continue to operate in West Africa for as long as we have the
collective energy. The personal satisfaction of assembling a competitive
station and working the piles to the best of our abilities is hard to match in
any other venue. We are looking to continue this operation next year and
already have plans in place to shore up some of the weeknesses we encountered
this year.

73 and thank everyone for the QSOs.

Ned
AA7A