[3830] CQWW CW VK8GM(OZ1AA) SOAB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW CW VK8GM(OZ1AA) SOAB HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sat, 3 Dec 2011 20:56:24 -0800
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: VK8GM
Operator(s): OZ1AA
Station: VK8GM

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: Alice Springs
Operating Time (hrs): 39

  160:
   80:
   40:   58    14       18
   20:  398    26       73
   15: 1141    29       80
   10: 1329    28       75
------------------------------

Club: Worldwide Young Contesters

Comments:

First of all a big thanks to Greg VK8GM for the use of the station and for
fantastic hospitality. We had originally planned a M/S as VK8AR from Alice
Springs Amateur Radio Club, but as the other CW operator in town cancelled the
plan was changed to a SOAB effort from Greg's place in the last minute.

I arrived at the station 30 minutes before the start, installed N1MM logger,
plugged in my CW keyer cable, and started CQing on 15. I had only made a few
QSOs from Australia before the contest, so I had very little idea of what to
expect in terms of propagation. I soon figured out that if I just imagined that
Europe was US and the US was Japan, then openings and beam headings would
roughly correspond to what I'm used to :-)

The high bands were amazing from down here, and I spent all day running US and
EU like crazy - some of the most fun I can ever remember having in CQWW. I
didn't have any resonant antennas on the low bands, so missed a bunch of
multipliers there.

Equipment:
Yeasu FT-920
IC2-KL @ 400 W
8 el. log periodoc @ 12 m

A few pictures at http://flickr.com/oz1aa

Thanks to everyone for the QSOs. I wonder where I will be for next year's
contest. Probably somewhere in South America.

73

Tom OZ1AA

http://www.cyclingtheglobe.com