[3830] ARRL 160 NX5M M/S HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, nx5m@txcyber.com
Subject: [3830] ARRL 160 NX5M M/S HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 4 Dec 2011 10:26:51 -0800
                    ARRL 160-Meter Contest

Call: NX5M
Operator(s): NX5M, KU5B, NO5W, NW7DX
Station: NX5M

Class: M/S HP
QTH: TX
Operating Time (hrs): 28

Total:  QSOs = 1269  Sections = 79  Countries = 29  Total Score = 302,292

Club: Central Texas DX and Contest Club

Comments:

One thing is for sure....new 160m vertical works!  What I do not understand is
how people can zero beat someones run frequency and just start calling cq
especially when we know they can hear us.  And on top of that, for the same
station to do it twice 5 hours apart just makes no sense when we can hear him
S9.

Had some good EU runs both nights but of course the first night was the best.
Heard very few JA's but just do not think the band was in good shape but
perhaps an intermittent beverage problem may have had something to do with it
as well.  Overall the band was up and down and really tough going at times.  We
had hoped for 1500 qsos but that just was not in the cards this year.

We had been concerned that the weather might have an impact on our weekend.
Well, it did.  At 1200z radar indicated a few thunderstorms drifting in our
direction from the west so we kept one eye out the window.  Suddenly, I thought
I saw a flash out the window but was not sure.  Next was the sound of thunder.
Total shut down at this point and we decided we were not going to get back on
the air even after the threat had passed.  So, we got to bed several hours
before we had planned.

It was great to have Ben, NW7DX, come out for the first time.  He stepped in
and did a magnificent job on one of the toughest bands to operate.  He quickly
learned the importance of beverage use and will be a permanent fixture in
future contests.