[3830] ARRL 160 W0AIH(K0TG) Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, k0tg@yahoo.com
Subject: [3830] ARRL 160 W0AIH(K0TG) Single Op HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 4 Dec 2011 21:21:19 -0800
                    ARRL 160-Meter Contest

Call: W0AIH
Operator(s): K0TG
Station: W0AIH

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: WI
Operating Time (hrs): 26

Total:  QSOs = 1234  Sections = 77  Countries = 16  Total Score = 237,894

Club: Minnesota Wireless Association

Comments:

This year due to schedules, I was lucky to be able to do an SO effort from W0AIH
instead of our usual Multi effort.

Things seemed to be going well until a few hours into the contest when the amp
started having problems.  I had to stop and swap out the rack and put in one of
the Alpha amps from one of the other stations.  To bad this did not happen
during a slower time.  I lost about 40 minutes of some prime rate time.  Such
is how Murphy operates.

Paul has been battling some power line noise recently (with the utility's
help).  The lines are a couple miles away, but sure wipe things out to the SE
pretty good. Making it pretty tough for Caribbean QSO's.

I was disappointed in the lack of sigs from EU. Knowing I would have to slog
thru the SE noise issue.  I was quite pleased to see the EU opening the 2nd
night.  I think my thought to CQ on the 4-square instead of hunting around
worked well.   JA5JAQ called me at 1050Z and had a great signal.  Only one more
JA heard later and that QSO was not completed.

Along with the power line noise, the 2nd night brought snow static with the
snowstorm Saturday afternoon/evening.  Lots of frying and popping.  I usually
could find an antenna that was quieter, but there were times that they were all
noisy. That was more of a problem earlier on Saturday.  Thankfully things
quieted down after a few hours of this racket.

DX Worked:

JA, VP2M, XE, YN, ZF, P4, PJ2, CE, DL, EA, F, G, GD, GW, LY, OK.

Mults Missed:

SDG, VI, NT

Looked for KV4FZ but never did find him.  Who da thunk it that with over 1000
QSO's that I cannot find a station in SDG??

It is always fun at "The Farm".   http://www.qth.com/w0aih/

Thanks to Paul for all the fun!

73, John  K0TG