[3830] CQWW CW C91NW(K9NW) SOAB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, k9nw@qth.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW CW C91NW(K9NW) SOAB HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Tue, 6 Dec 2011 19:27:21 -0800
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: C91NW
Operator(s): K9NW
Station: C91NW

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: Bilene
Operating Time (hrs): 46

  160:    0     0        0
   80:   10     8       10
   40:  257    28       68
   20: 1032    34       88
   15: 1204    31      109
   10: 2813    34      116
------------------------------

Club: Mad River Radio Club

Comments:

Elecraft K3
Alpha 78
10/15/20:  Spiderbeam
40:  Four-Square
80/160:  72' vertical

Another great African adventure!  I was looking forward to the enhanced high
band condx this year as previous trips in '05 and '09 lacked significant 10m
openings.  I wasn't disappointed!  At the other end of the spectrum I was a
little bummed with the lowband results, especially considering the effort
involved in putting together a quality low band arsenal.  (Certainly didn't
expect to be completely skunked on 160!)  But C9 is a long way from everywhere
and we're not seeing the FB lowband condx we've experienced in recent years.
So it goes.

But those high bands!!!

My 20m mult total is quite low.  I had counted on 20m being open to somewhere
pretty much 24 hours.  I was planning to make some QSOs there later in my
second night but when I got there it was obvious there was some sort of
disturbance going on and it was effectively shut down.  Not so good.  So I
altered my plans a bit and spent more time there going into the last night
which helped the totals a bit but I still left a lot of easy stuff on the
table.

Cluster Pileups:  Others have already said anything I could say.  I've
concluded that a good part of the Cluster Corps is just plain lazy.  No effort
made to get off zero beat with a hundred other guys.  Just call and call and
call.  One time I QSYed just a smidge above where I had been - in the clear now
but I could still detect the pile just outside of my passband - and proceeded to
work a steady stream of new callers while the pileup raged on just below me.
Had any of them thought to actually tune the big knob on the radio they might
have found me.  But it seems most of them are point and click ops and they just
waited until the next spot showed up.  Whatever.  I've decided it's pointless to
whine about this and have accepted it as one of the challenges of op'ing from
the DX side.

Once again I've enjoyed another great CQWW event with great conditions and
(mostly) great ops!  Amazing reading reports from guys making 5000+ QSOs and
yet our paths never crossed, testimony to the extremely high activity level in
this biggest of all contests.  Great stuff!  It was fun to experience things
from yet another interesting DX location.  (Note to self:  Brush up on basic
Portuguese before the next visit.)  Thanks for the QSOs!

73, Mike K9NW / C91NW