[3830] CQWW CW VU2NKS M/S LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, vu2cdp@yahoo.co.in
Subject: [3830] CQWW CW VU2NKS M/S LP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Wed, 7 Dec 2011 06:04:22 -0800
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: VU2NKS
Operator(s): VU2NKS, VU2CDP
Station: VU2NKS

Class: M/S LP
QTH: Mumbai
Operating Time (hrs): 35

  160:    0     0        0
   80:   21    10       16
   40:   75    17       36
   20:  222    23       53
   15:  280    30       68
   10:  508    28       75
------------------------------

Club: VU Contest Group

Comments:

Equipment:

Radio- Elecraft K3
Ant - 3el SteppIR with 30/40 add-on and Inverted Vee for 80m at 300+ feet
Software - MixW  (some CAT & keying problems early on with contest software,
MixW to the rescue)
Keying- 75% MixW + 25% Operator i.e. QSD at 35wpm :-)

Two CW contesting rookies got together to try and make as many QSOs and fill up
new band/slots for VU2NKS. We don't have an amp but the antennas are on top a
multi-storeyed building so the disadvantage of not having extra x100 Watts is
somewhat negated. LP in M/S with only 2 ops was not going to win us any awards
so we went about our business quietly to have some fun operating. NKS was
largely focused on S&P on 40 & 80 (his new love) while i decided to run the
high bands. Also it was only 1 radio so the operator changes were determined by
'forces of nature' than willingness to get up from the chair for either op ;-)

So was it fun? You bet! For a "rig hr 100w es ant dipole" guy, the chance to
run pileups is unmissable. Reminded me of the huge pileups i ran as
VU4PB...seems so long ago! There were occasions where i was like a 'rabbit in
the headlights' for a few seconds from ear-drum crushing signals dead zero
beat. But eventually figured out how to deal with the situation (note to self:
now improve your rate). Lots of takeaways for both of us and improve upon in
future contests.

Moments i recall-
> working FY5KE on 15m past our midnight; "..ENN N" had such a musical ring to
it, it was still playing in my ears while i was driving back home on Sunday
evening.

> tuning across the band after wkg FY5KE to find ZM4T and ZD8W & ZD8N as the
only other audible signals on the band. ZD8W's reaction indicated that he never
expected to hear a VU in the contest :-)  (and i have never heard ZD8 so i was
equally thrilled to work him)

> Being called on my run by the likes of D4C and P40L were nice highs.

The station at VU2NKS is very competitive for LP efforts. And the OB is a very
kind host with an even kinder family. Thank you for tolerating me for those
30-odd hours!

Vy 73,
Deepak VU2CDP