[3830] ARRL 10 W2GPS M/S HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, w2gps@cnssys.com
Subject: [3830] ARRL 10 W2GPS M/S HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2011 04:44:13 -0800
                    ARRL 10-Meter Contest

Call: W2GPS
Operator(s): W2GPS
Station: W2GPS

Class: M/S HP
QTH: Severna Park MD
Operating Time (hrs): 21:59

   CW:  345   130
  SSB:  220    81
-------------------
Total:  565   211  Total Score = 384,020

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

This was my first 10 meter contest and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I tried to
balance my time between CW and SSB but CW had more easy contacts and was milder
on the ears so I did most of my operating there. The band closed down a few
hours after dark so I got plenty of sleep. Friday evening was a bust except
that I worked plenty of local stations within about 400 miles. Saturday morning
at 11:30Z the band lit up with more European stations than I could work and it
kept on giving for many hours. Sunday was not quite as dramatic but it was good
too. After noon each day there were plenty of NA stations to keep me busy. Most
of the east coast stations were worked by backscatter with the beam pointed
west. I tried pointing at New England and Florida but the stations couldnâ??t
be heard until I wend back to due west. That was convenient as I seldom needed
to turn the beam in the afternoons. During the quiet time Saturday evening I
worked a few local stations that had all gathered at 28490. With their help I
found and fixed the source of the â??RF on my audioâ?? that has plagued me for
a year. Thanks guys! It was nice to hear a couple of stations on Sunday say
â??good audio.â?? Near the end of the contest it seems that many people stopped
operating but that is when I worked some good Pacific area contacts. Rick W2GPS