[3830] ARRL 10 N2IC SO CW HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] ARRL 10 N2IC SO CW HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2011 05:56:19 -0800
                    ARRL 10-Meter Contest

Call: N2IC
Operator(s): N2IC
Station: N2IC

Class: SO CW HP
QTH: New Mexico
Operating Time (hrs): 27
Radios: SO2R

   CW: 2304   146
  SSB:    0     0
-------------------
Total: 2304   146  Total Score = 1,345,536

Club:

Comments:

I'm amazed by those east coast QSO totals. I can't imagine numbers like that
without the steady stream of W1,2,3,4,8, and sometimes 9 that I had. Also had a
great Es opening Friday night to W0/W9 which was good for 150 QSO's. Without
those USA QSO's, this would not have been a fun contest.

Believe-it-or-not, this was the first time I have done this contest seriously.
During high sunspot years, it seemed like other things took priority, and
during low sunspot years, it's a VHF contest.

Leaned a vertical up against a tree on Friday for the 2nd radio. That was good
when I was pointed NE (which was THE direction until JA opened up). Otherwise,
too much overload. Used the 2nd radio only as a receiver, with the N1MM command
to swap radio frequencies when I wanted to work someone. Need to improve the RX
antenna situation if I do this next year.

Frustrating waiting for the band to open direct path to EU in the morning.
Sunrise here is 1410Z. Seems like every minute means the band is closing in
another eastern EU country. I could work a few big guns skew path over South
America beginning at 1330Z, but the direct path didn't happen until 1454Z on
Saturday, and 1452Z on Sunday. Yes, it was that sudden that the direct path
opened. Once it did open, Saturday was much better propagation than Sunday.

Even though I got plenty of sleep, it's funny how brain dead I became. With the
mixture of states and QSO numbers, more than once I found myself typing 09 when
working TN and 05 when working Ohio.

A few stats:

QSO's:
EU 334
JA 309
USA 1353

Mults:
50 USA States
9 VE Provinces (where was VO1, VE8, VY1 ?)
5 XE States
R1, R2
4O, 9A, 9V, BY, CE, CO, CN, CT, CU, CX, D4, DL, DU, E5, E7, EA, EA6, EA8,
EI, ES, F, FG, FM, G, GI, GJ, GM, GW, HA, HB, HC, HK, HL, HS, I, IS, J3, JA,
KH2, KP2, KP4, LA, LU, LZ, OE, OH, OK, OM, ON, OX, OZ, PA, PJ2, PJ4,
PY, S5, SM, SP, SV, TF, TI, UA, UR, V5, VE, VK, VP5, VP8, VR, XV, YB, YN, YO,
YS, YU, YV, ZF, ZL, ZS

A really fun contest. Wish we had sunspots every year ! Thanks for all the
QSO's !

73,
Steve, N2IC