[3830] ARRL 10 K8BL SO Mixed LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, K8BL@AMERITECH.NET
Subject: [3830] ARRL 10 K8BL SO Mixed LP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2011 16:46:19 -0800
                    ARRL 10-Meter Contest

Call: K8BL
Operator(s): K8BL
Station: K8BL

Class: SO Mixed LP
QTH: OHIO
Operating Time (hrs): 15

   CW:  610   120
  SSB:  210    89
-------------------
Total:  820   209  Total Score = 597,740

Club: North Coast Contesters

Comments:

Great condx, finally, and lots of activity. CW activity was up to almost
28200 and Phone was up almost to 28900!! Watching GeoClock, I could see I
was indeed having propagation to wherever the Sun was shining! It was also
nice to have interest picking up in Mexico now that their States count as
Multipliers in this Contest.

Propagation was quite interesting from the standpoint that it often didn't
matter which way the beam was headed to work someone. It was good that
I could work 6's without swinging the antenna out West when the Band was
open well into EU. But, it was bad when I wanted to null out the West when
signals were getting weak from the Northeast. Such a problem! ;-)

For significant periods of time it appeared that there was long and short
skip occurring simultaneously. EU was coming in FB and I was also working
stations along the East Coast. I even worked DC as a Mult which is very
rare on 10M! Backscatter must have been working, too, at times, since a lot
of stations sounded stronger when I pointed the beam due North.

Maybe next year I'll try a 10M Vertical and see if there might be any sort
of advantage. It would be very interesting to switch back and forth. That
might lead to installing two in an NE/SW cardioid pattern.

I ran into a problem with my old CT-WIN not counting the Mexican States as
Multipliers. There were some links on the K1EA CT Site to some user-modified
files that fixed this problem, but they were old and broken. Reading a
from an archive last year there was info about modifying some data files
to make Mexico part of Canada and make the individual States Mults. After
some careful editing, I replaced the original files with the ones unique
to the ARRL 10 Meter Contest. VOILA!! I brought CT-WIN back up after the
Contest with the same QSO File and I saw the new Mults worked and my score
had recalculated with an increase of over 50,000 points!! The ARRL scoring
software would have probably done the same thing, but it was nice to have
things done right on my own computer for me to see.