[3830] ARRL 10 W0AIH(NE9U) SO Mixed HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, ne9u@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] ARRL 10 W0AIH(NE9U) SO Mixed HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2011 21:08:13 -0800
                    ARRL 10-Meter Contest

Call: W0AIH
Operator(s): NE9U
Station: W0AIH

Class: SO Mixed HP
QTH: WI
Operating Time (hrs): 35
Radios: SO2R

   CW: 1201   127
  SSB: 1136   127
-------------------
Total: 2337   254  Total Score = 1,772,412

Club: Minnesota Wireless Association

Comments:

Well, Ive been beating my head in in this contest past 5 years with no
propagation, so Paul graciously allowed me have some fun this year!

In hindsight, probably made a few strategic errors:  Stayed on CW Saturday
morning too long, thinking the band wouldn't close to Europe so soon.  It did
and I ended up very short on Mults.  So had to start out on SSB Sunday and stay
there too long to get my mult totals up.

Also, usually my ratio is 2:1 CW instead of 1:1.  But those afternoon SSB runs
to California would just not quit!

Paul has most of the line noise issues that killed them in CQWW CW and 160
fixed, but I still had some noise to the NW when using the Stack.  But kicked
in the JA Rhombic which I have never used before on 10 and that solved the
noise problems!  (We usually keep the JA Rhombic on the 15 or 20 position in
the DX contests). The African Rhombic on reverse was a killer antenna to VK and
ZL in the afternoons.  It did pretty good to Africa too, just didn't log many to
that area.

I ended up with 14 hours at over a 100 rate and 26 of my 35 hours over 50.

Top mults were:

California 267  (Last year I had 16)
JA         155
DL         114
WA         104
FL          90

The close in stuff was a lot tougher this year, but my friends in Minnesota
still came through with 63.  Also way down from here was Texas and a lot of the
southeaster states.

Thanks to Paul and Mary for being such great hosts as usual!

Merry Christmas!

Scott  NE9U