[3830] RAC Winter VY2SS SOSB/20 HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] RAC Winter VY2SS SOSB/20 HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 18 Dec 2011 05:24:01 -0800
                    RAC Winter Contest

Call: VY2SS
Operator(s): VY2SS
Station: VY2SS

Class: SOSB/20 HP
QTH: PEI
Operating Time (hrs): 11:22

  160:
   80:
   40:
   20:  397    618      11        12
   15:
   10:
    6:
    2:
Total:  397    618      11        12  Total Score = 110,538

Club:

Comments:

My goal was an old record from 2000 set by my good friend Frank VE7AV.
As usual I got up early and started the contest in Europe and worked many 2
pointers before the rest of Canada woke up. My main problem was the large holes
in my log due to rest periods that seem to get longer each year. Frank and I
were both 11 years younger when that record was set. I was trying to talk
myself into giving up as he had 24 mults and I had seen no VY1 or NU stations
so the most I could get would be 22. I didn't think I could overcome the mult
deficiency with QSOs. Then I nabbed a VY1 late in the day. That jumped my score
and spirits a bunch. I tried to move him to CW but that wasn't happening. I was
starting to lose the band and most ops had migrated to the longer waves. Then I
heard another VY1. Yahoo! But he had no key. Nuts! I must remember to send him
one. I carried on getting mostly mercy calls from casual ops with extremely low
serial numbers and the occasional VE7 and finaly passed the record with 35
minutes to go. I worked a few more for insurance then had fun dropping the PEI
mult on CQers on CW. Tired but happy I will now retire from radio contesting.
At least until the RTTY Roundup in early January. Best wishes for the holidays
to all and thanks for another year of fun with ham radio.