[3830] TBDC DL6FBL(@DR1A) Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, bernd.fd@gmx.de
Subject: [3830] TBDC DL6FBL(@DR1A) Single Op HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 18 Dec 2011 13:10:32 -0800
                    Stew Perry Topband Challenge

Call: DL6FBL
Operator(s): DL6FBL
Station: DR1A

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: JO31CQ
Operating Time (hrs): 13:50
Radios: SO2R

Total:  QSOs = 456  Total Score = 3,068

Club: Bavarian Contest Club

Comments:

My first operating window was from 1615-1909z. In this time frame I worked 174
QSOs. 10 points or more were only received from RD0A, RC9O, UA0OD, RU9I, and
RO9O. I also heard RA0FU, but he didn't hear me.

After a small 30 minutes offtime I started my second operating window from
1940-0639z. I worked JH4UYB at 1943z, but the QSO took about 3 minutes. I had
to repeat my callsign many times, before it was correct. Yet he was loud, and
this made me feel a bit uneasy.

Right at 2000z VY2ZM called in for the first and early W/VE, and I regained my
self-confidence.. :-) I also felt good, when JH2FXK, JA2PJC, JA7FUJ, JQ2VVH,
JA3FYC, JA1JRK, JA7BME, JA4LXY, JA5BZL, JR3NZC, and JH3PRR called in during the
next two hours. Nice surprises were also the calls from 5H3EE (2024z) and ST2AR
(2306z). I missed to work VK, if there were any...

The first Stateside station was W1XX at 2139z, quickly followed by W1FV, K2UF,
W1UE, N3RD and NN3L within just a few minutes. Then unfortunately propagation
dropped dramatically. In the current picture at
http://www.n3kl.org/sun/images/noaa_xrays.gif
you can see nicely that hefty X-Ray disturbances started at that time. Not only
did the disturbances destroy most of the signal strength on the path (almost
EVERY W/VE station was coming in at our station noise level) - but on top you
could hear the disturbances very well: in the peaks there was an extra S3 noise
floor on the Beverages, which made listening a real torture.
http://www.dxsummit.fi shows some historical cluster spots from W/VE stations
declaring me "deaf". That really hurts, especially when you know that you were
using one of the most efficient RX antenna systems in EU... :-(
Bottom line: I was really looking forward to the W/VE opening, but it was a
real struggle and a hard fight to get all those 141 W/VE QSOs complete...
States worked in the W5/6/7/0 area: 1xAR, 3xAZ, 1xCO, 2xIA, 2xMN, 1xMO, 2xMT,
1xNE, 3xNM, 1xSD, 8xTX, 1xUT. Other DX worked: FM5BH, FM5CD, KV4FZ, PJ2T,
P40TA, HI3TEJ, and the longest distance contact with CE1/K7CA (FG41, 0441z) for
11683 km and 24 points.

At the same time as the Stew Perry Contest there was also the 9A (Croatia)
contest. It was no problem for me to send my report as 599 +serialnumber +JO31
to give them credit for the 9A contest, too. I got quite some similar replies,
which went easily, but there were also some "hardliners" who simple *REFUSED*
to send their grid additionally. Sorry for them. They missed their 9A contest
QSO, too...

My last contact was with DL6GBL. It took me a while to understand that he was
really DL6GBL, and he was calling me (DL6FBL). Imagine someone on your
frequency just sending a callsign which is is 99% yours. Why would someone just
send your own "busted" callsign??? After we sorted things out and made contact,
I decided that I have enough now and called it a day - ten minutes before the
14 operating hours were full... :-)

73 Ben
DL6FBL