[3830] TBDC K9IG Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] TBDC K9IG Single Op LP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2011 07:18:41 -0800
                    Stew Perry Topband Challenge

Call: K9IG
Operator(s): K9IG
Station: K9IG

Class: Single Op LP
QTH:
Operating Time (hrs):

Total:  QSOs = 345  Total Score = 1,503

Club: Society of Midwest Contesters

Comments:

I had intended to put more of an effort into this but I had some RX antenna
issues that took some time to trouble-shoot at the start.  The K9AY array
seemed a bit deaf, and then got REALLY deaf.  Trying to listen on the big
vertical or a dipole was just way too fatiguing for me, so I had to get the
array working.

Thinking that it was something inside, I ended up taking most of the low band
receiving hardware apart in the shack, swapping cables, by-passing control
boxes to no avail.  About 11pm I got out the headlamps and flashlight for some
inspection of hardware outside thinking that deer had maybe walked through the
array leaving it in a pile - it was still standing.  Back in the shack, I took
a GMRS radio, and locked it on transmit and set it in front of the speaker,
taking another GMRS radio with an earpiece outside, so that I could hear the
receive on the HF radio in the shack.  I traced the hardline and coax of the
array.  I have a junction box about 150 ft from the house and looked at
connectors/cable, started to move things around and I heard the receive come
back to life via the GMRS radio.  I had a cable just below the entry into the
junction box chewed, breaking the braid on the coax, moving it around "made"
the connection so I could hear again.

Varmints are a pain.

It was about 12:30am by this time, taking a major amount of fun out of the
night.  I was hoping for at least 500 Q's but it was not in the cards.  I got
some EU, head the JA but didn't work him.  I did have fun, even with the hassle
of critters eating cable.

Happy Holidays to all!