[3830] RAC Winter VE3MGY SOSB/80 LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, vy2mgy@sympatico.ca
Subject: [3830] RAC Winter VE3MGY SOSB/80 LP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2011 10:30:33 -0800
                    RAC Winter Contest

Call: VE3MGY
Operator(s): VE3MGY
Station: VE3MGY

Class: SOSB/80 LP
QTH: Ontario
Operating Time (hrs): ~10

  160:
   80:  207    157      11        11
   40:
   20:
   15:
   10:
    6:
    2:
Total:  207    157      11        11  Total Score = 46,464

Club: Contest Club Ontario

Comments:

Great contest as always. Worked 168 U.S. calls, 10 DX, and 186 VE's. Decided to
stay with the published band plan and hours of operation if it worked and it
did - ie: CW on the bottom of the hour SSB on the top. So tried to run SSB from
00 - 30 and CW from 30 - 59  and that was only modified if I was in the middle
of a productive run. It seemed to work well as I never had a quiet 30 min ( or
even 10 min for that matter ) on either mode. Didn't seem like much activity
when I was S&Ping.

QRN was very noticable by it's absence for the night with S0 on CW on S2 - S4
on SSB. You just gotta love a quiet location. Easy to work all provinces and
the West Coast stayed loud all night.

Hit 100/hr on the rate meter a few times and averaged 55-60 an hour for the
first 5 hours and then things slowed down a bit.

On SSB worked all but NT and NU. Did work a YT but he didn't know the code so
QSYing was not an option.

On CW worked all but NT and YT. Did work a NU but he QSB'd into the noise
before I could move him to SSB and was never heard from again.

By Sunrise Saturday I opted to skip the last 2 hours of 80M Saturday night and
hit the SPTBDC full on instead.

Thanks for all the QSO's and Merry Christmas.

73,
Brian
VE3MGY