[3830] RTTY Roundup AC0C Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, jeff@ac0c.com
Subject: [3830] RTTY Roundup AC0C Single Op HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Mon, 9 Jan 2012 12:40:25 -0800
                    ARRL RTTY Roundup

Call: AC0C
Operator(s): AC0C
Station: AC0C

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: Kansas
Operating Time (hrs): 23:59
Radios: SO2R

------------
   80:  132
   40:  355
   20:  440
   15:  420
   10:  104
------------
Total: 1451  State/Prov = 57  Countries = 50  Total Score = 155,257

Club: Kansas City DX Club

Comments:

Lot of fun.  And many thanks to everyone who was kind enough to work me!

Shack setup -------------------------------

FT-2000 with NS roofing filter, FT-dx5000MP
SB-200 with Gi7b, Alpha 76pa

So2r attic antenna farm with 80m dipole, 40m 2-element phased, 20m 2-ele
reversible, 15m 2-element reversable + 3 10m fixed antennas; 2 elements east, 2
elements west and a dipole for N/S coverage.

N1MM logger, 5B4AGN BPF, Microham interfaces

------------------------

Lot of changes; new for this contest was incorporation of 15m into the prior
40/20 So2r rotation.  A complete overhaul of the antennas minimizing ajacent
band interaction for So2r operation.  And conversion of the 3-element beams
into a series of close-spaced 2-element sets with emphasis on 15/10m operation.
 And a new RX loop for 80m.

Nothing shakes the bugs out of a system like a serious RTTY contest.  And after
a poor showing in Sept CQ DX RTTY contest, I was excited to see if all the work
would provide better results in the RU.

Unfortunately the SFI was a bit low for 10m to be sizzling this time around -
and that was a real disapointment.  But with all the effort put into 10m
antenna building, I wanted to push it to see what could happen and that hurt
the run rate early on.

Worked every domestic state section including DC a couple of times.  Missed
just 6 of the VE providences.  But the lack of DX, evey by the normal reduced
midwest expectations was shocking with only 50 countries - a "normal" contest
should provide around 75 countries.

Overall the Q-rate with the improvements was up 50% compared to any prior
serious contest effort - a very pleasant suprise.  Qs were split between rigs
45%/55% on the 2K/5K with the 2K running 15M for most of the contest.

Hardware problems were moderate by my usual standards with no major failures.
The SB200 hung in there despite the bandswitch and tank needing an overhaul,
and the Gi7b pair getting tired after so much abuse over the years.  The
changes to the antennas and switching all performed without trouble.

Found a winkey-PTT related N1MM software thing which W4TV immediately
identified and was resolved on the pretest sessions.  Other than that, there
were no shack gremlins or RFI suprises.  While 10 was weak, the bands were
quiet and for the most part no house power supplies or other noise makers
popped up.  And a lot of little probelms were identified and I hope to address
those before the WPX next month.

Operator missteps included trying to force a weak 10m band to run when 20m was
strong.  Not keeping an eye on 80m and missing the opening by an hour or two.
And not dropping down to 40m early enough on Sunday.  Mental fatigue due to
lousy sleeping on Saturday night manifested in a tough run the last few hours
of the contest with keyboard and mouse fumbling.  As I think back, optimizing
all these choices and sleeping properly may have added another 300 Q overall.

See you all in the WPX!

73/jeff/ac0c
alpha-charlie-zero-charlie