[3830] RTTY Roundup N6WG Single Op QRP

To: 3830@contesting.com, n6wg@comcast.net
Subject: [3830] RTTY Roundup N6WG Single Op QRP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2012 15:51:15 -0800
                    ARRL RTTY Roundup

Call: N6WG
Operator(s): N6WG
Station: N6WG

Class: Single Op QRP
QTH: Newark CA
Operating Time (hrs): 18

------------
   80:   27
   40:   58
   20:   12
   15:   93
   10:   88
------------
Total:  278  State/Prov = 49  Countries = 17  Total Score = 18,348

Club: Northern California Contest Club

Comments:

This was a fun contest for me.  Last time I tried it was 2009.  I did better
then, but I think this outing was richer in that I had a higher average number
of points per QSO than in 2009.

It took me a while to figure out how to set up my laptop, N1MM and my K3 to get
them all singing together.  But it finally all came together and off I went.

Besides the usual alligators (all voice and no ears), I ran across several
signals that I simply could not decode.  I tried different speeds and
deviations, but nothing worked on them.  They were strong enough that hearing
was not the problem.  I worked many stations that were weaker.  So I just
skipped them and moved on.

I had hoped to pick up a new country or two, but nothing heard (or copied).
Maybe in some other contest or when the sunspots come back again.  Now that I
have the setup figured out, I'll participate more often.

The setup here is pretty simple.  My laptop with N1MM, a K3/10 at 5w, a 10m
yagi at 30 ft, and several dipoles for the bands below 10m.

I'm still learning to keyboard for QSOs.  My reaction is still to reach for my
paddles, but that won't work here :-)  Gotta keep practicing.

Anyway, I'm pleased that so many stations were able to copy me satisfactorily.
I had originally estimated 50-100 Qs for this contest, but once I got rolling, I
blew way past that for 278.

Thanks to everyone for the Qs and points.  Hope to see you in the next
contest.
73, Bob N6WG
The Little Station with Attitude