[3830] NAQP CW N6WG Single Op QRP

To: 3830@contesting.com, n6wg@comcast.net
Subject: [3830] NAQP CW N6WG Single Op QRP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 15 Jan 2012 09:27:50 -0800
                    North American QSO Party, CW - January

Call: N6WG
Operator(s): N6WG
Station: N6WG

Class: Single Op QRP
QTH: Newark CA
Operating Time (hrs): 10

  160:   28     8
   80:   38    14
   40:   40    21
   20:   77    29
   15:   55    28
   10:   67    19
-------------------
Total:  305   119  Total Score = 36,600

Club: Northern California Contest Club

Team:

Comments:

When I saw sunspot number at 80 early Sat morning, I thought the contest would
be running on fumes.  But when I started, I found the bands hopping.  10m was
really boiling.  I really enjoy seeing a lot of activity, because it reminds me
of the days when I was a young Novice in 1952.  You could always find QSOs at
any time of the day or night.

This actually turned out to be one of my better CW NAQPs, if not the very best.
 I certainly beat the socks off my last two entries back in 2009.  I heard few
DX stations, and the ones I did were buried in pileups.  I figured it would be
better to ignore them and just work everything I could, go for the Qs and
mults, rather than waste time in a pileup.  It certainly produced a good result
for me.  I was even able to put in the full 10 hours, which surprised me.
Usually family demands cut into my available time.

I think the high point for me was at the end, where I was actually running a
frequency on 160m.  I managed to pull in 17 Qs in the last 22 minutes, just
sitting there and CQing.  I think everyone else was getting desparate for one
last Q and jumped on my little signal.

The antenna here is a 60 ft top loaded wire on a telescoping fiberglas mast,
with an elevated counterpoise.  All in all, I'm really pleased with my results.
 Not bad for 5w and a piece up wire up on a big plastic stick.

Thanks to all for the Qs.  Hope to see you in the ssb run.

73, Bob N6WG
The Little station with Attitude