[3830] NAQP CW W6ONV Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, w6onv@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] NAQP CW W6ONV Single Op LP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Mon, 16 Jan 2012 17:34:34 -0800
                    North American QSO Party, CW - January

Call: W6ONV
Operator(s): W6ONV
Station: W6ONV

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: Oakley CA
Operating Time (hrs): 7.5

  160:
   80:    1     1
   40:   37    17
   20:  135    43
   15:   91    39
   10:   17    13
-------------------
Total:  281   113  Total Score = 31,753

Club: Northern California Contest Club

Team: NCCC #4

Comments:

Thankfully I had the day off from work and committed to a full effort in the
NAQP. While I didnâ??t draw up any goals, I did use the 2010 NAQP results as a
benchmark of what I wanted to achieve. Early on I figure 400 QSOs would be
possible, but as the day wore on I realized I was going to fall short. Unlike
2010, I was able to start the contest, which made the difference this year.

When the clock struck 1800z I started off on 20M. Unfortunately CW is not my
strongest mode, but one I thoroughly enjoy so my full effort was all S & P.
While 20M was productive, it would be 15M that accounted for the bulk of my
QSOs the first 2 hours. I also experienced a first for me and my station, as I
was able to achieve 3 straight hours of a rate over 40/min, topping at at
50/min at 20z! I know this is small potatoes for those experienced CW operators
who run a frequency.

10M seemed to be short lived as I made just 17 contacts during 19z and 21z, 13
of which were multipliers. At 21z, 15M seemed to slow down, but 20M picked up,
which is where I remained until the sun set. I also took a few 30 minute breaks
at 22z and 00z. In hindsight, I should have stuck around at 22z as another 40
rate might have been possible. 20M was also my â??money bandâ?? with 135 QSO
and 43 multipliers.

During my second 30 minute break I had to get the manuals to the SteppIR BigIR
out and make sure everything was connected correctly as I could not hear
anything on the vertical. While I didnâ??t open the antenna, I did home the
element in hopes of making sure the element was the correct length for the band
selected. What I did realize was the PL-259 connector on the coax  running to
the SteppIR is bad. I had to wiggle the connector until I could get it to a
point that allowed me to hear the band.

Unfortunately that was only have the problem. While the propagation had
improved slightly leading up to the weekend I had a solid S7-S8 noise on 40M
when I made the move (probably too early) at 00z. After wiggling my connector,
I decided to connect it directly to the transceiver, which made no difference.
Frustrated I decided to take another break. After 30 minutes to collect myself
I returned, but was frustrated at the pace of the S & P, which yielded
approximately 35 QSOs over the next 90 minutes. I could see my goal of even 300
slipping away.

Being more frustrated that enjoying my radio I made the decision to shut the
shack down at 02z. Before I did, I was able to make only a single contact on
80m with Jack, KF6T. I thought 40M was bad, but I was either real early on 80M
or had further antenna issues, as I could not hear anyone. Instead of riding
out the struggling for the next 2.5 hours I thought it would be better for my
sanity if I accepted my 281 QSOs and went to build Legos with my son.

My final tally was 281 QSOs, 113 MULTS for 281 points and a final score of
31,753. This would be a 33% increase in contacts and multipliers from my 2010
effort and a scoring increase of 17,803 points or 56%. Anyway I look at it the
contest was a success for me and my station. I still call into question my low
band antenna, which is really beginning to cause frustration when the sun goes
down. I might need to inquire with the brain trust of the NCCC. Being confined
to a small backyard, even the 1500 feet of copper radials I have might not be
enough to get the signal I desire. The inability to get wires in the air due to
no trees also could be an issue. Single band efforts during daylight hours might
be more worthwhile if the low bands continue to be an issue, it will depend on
the contest.

More at www.the6thfloor.com

Steve
W6ONV