[3830] NAQP SSB N6ZFO Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] NAQP SSB N6ZFO Single Op LP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 22 Jan 2012 13:02:39 -0800
                    North American QSO Party, SSB - January

Call: N6ZFO
Operator(s): N6ZFO
Station: N6ZFO

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: CA
Operating Time (hrs): 9.5

  160:   35    11
   80:   64    20
   40:   99    37
   20:   60    32
   15:   72    33
   10:  286    35
-------------------
Total:  616   168  Total Score = 103,488

Club: Northern California Contest Club

Team: NCCC Team 2

Comments:

Equipment:
FT-1000MP Mk V 100w
Antennas:
   10 m 3 el Yagi
   15-80   40m DE Zepp at 75' [ a bad antenna on 20 and 15]
   160 m  Inv L.

Comments:  Antenna re-configuring in progress for 15m and 20m.

Low bands were noisy and difficult. Unexpected 40m RFI problem materialized out
of no-where and disabled a 100/hour 40m run. Then the RFI mysteriously
vanished.

The last minute decision to use "49ers" as the name proved endlessly
entertaining. ["49ers" is a legal NAQP Name]
 -- about 2 % couldn't believe I was serious and insisted on trying to use
"Bill".
 -- < 10 % had some difficulty with their logging program, which sometimes
requires a little discussion. (WL won't take numbers, so needed to enter
"FORTYNINERS".
 -  about 40 % just handled the name routinely with no comment
 -  about 50 % either laughed out loud or had a humorous/supportive comments,
most commonly "go team".  Interesting to learn the large # of SF 49er's
football fans across the country. Most respondents really got a kick out of the
name. It's use livened up the SSB contest experience.  In a few of the QSOs
(Giants fans) we mutually agreed not to delete the QSO's.

Most amusing:
 -- K1TN, who was our "humorist" in the NS for some time . . he's a really
funny, likeable guy, used PATRIOTS.
 -- On ten meters, where one sometimes gets a 10-10 number, one guy said "Sorry
I don't have a 49er's number"
 -  and finally a VE7 commented " 49ers. . that's a highway in California,
isn't it? ". [appropriately, State Highway #49 is the road through gold country
in the Sierra Foothills]

73 Bill n6zfo