[3830] ARRL Jan VHF K0TV Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, k0tv@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] ARRL Jan VHF K0TV Single Op LP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2012 10:34:52 -0800

  3.4:
  5.7:
  10G:
  24G:
-------------------
Total:  161    46  Total Score = 7,406

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

This was the 40th anniversary of my very first contest, the January VHF SS in
1972. Although I didn't make this a serious effort, I had lots of fun operating
this time.

The Es opening to the Southern US provided lots of good QSOs on Sunday.

VHF contesting is my first love in contesting but the last few years, I've
been
spending much more time in HF contests. I guess that's made me a bit
impatient.
You won't see 300 rates here. My best hour rate was only 46. For someone who's
frequently gotten rates upwards of 200 per hour, the pace here seems much
slower. I've also gotten used to the snappy pace of an HF contest and the
operation on VHF isn't the same. It's just like moving from an airplane (I'm a
pilot) to a sailboat (also a sailor). A different definition of speed applies.
On HF, at the end of a contact, "Thanks QRZ?" (or just "TU" on CW) will do. On
VHF, the lower rate allows more courtesy, "Good luck in the contest, 73. QRZ
Kilo Zero Tango Victor" (or "73 QRZ K0TV" on CW) is more appropriate.

In June I'll be active on more bands than just 6 and 2.

Thanks to everyone for a great contest.

73, Jerry - K0TV