[3830] CQ160 CW WS7L Single Op Assisted HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] CQ160 CW WS7L Single Op Assisted HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 29 Jan 2012 11:23:55 -0800
                    CQ 160-Meter Contest, CW

Call: WS7L
Operator(s): WS7L
Station: WS7L

Class: Single Op Assisted HP
QTH: OR
Operating Time (hrs): 17

Total:  QSOs = 348  State/Prov = 51  Countries = 13  Total Score = 57,856

Club:

Comments:

The first night signals from the east were poor. It was as if an RF wall had
been erected on the northern PA border, until I finally worked a NY station and
that was all for the #1 and #2 call districts. The second night was vastly
improved and I worked stations all over the northeast plus VY2ZM, and finally
logged some JAs. Much less DX than last year so the score is about 7,000 less
even though I had more Q's. There were just a few Caribbeans: PJ2, HI, C6, KP2.
Only a few Central and South Americans, including as always CE1/K7CA (my second
QSO of the test. I wish the rest of SA were as routine as working him!) No
Europe heard or worked from here, and hasn't been since 2010. Almost got HK0NA
-- I'm certain that they answered me but I could never hear my whole callsign
so had to give up on them. (Good thing I logged them on 160 earlier in the
week!) Thanks to all who stood by for me there. Compared to other recent
DXpedition shenanigans it was an EXTREMELY well-behaved pile. Not a single
station tried to horn in on that QSO.

Run rates were good (for me) the second night, hit 180+ on the "last ten" meter
and sustained at one 60+ hour. Worked 47 states and 6 provinces, missed VT, MS,
SC, DC. The high point of the weekend was when VP6T called me during one of my
runs. That was the only time a rare DX has ever called ME instead of the other
way around.

73 and thanks all.
Carl WS7L
K3 + 700 W amp, top-loaded 15 m high vertical, 80 m dipole for alternate Rx
antenna.