[3830] CQ160 CW N8XX(@N8CC) Multi-Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, n8xx@arrl.org
Subject: [3830] CQ160 CW N8XX(@N8CC) Multi-Op HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 29 Jan 2012 18:22:56 -0800
                    CQ 160-Meter Contest, CW

Call: N8XX
Operator(s): N8CC NF8J K8JJC K8KS K8QKY N8XX
Station: N8CC

Class: Multi-Op HP
QTH: MICHIGAN
Operating Time (hrs): 32

Total:  QSOs = 1193  State/Prov = 58  Countries = 38  Total Score = 292,608

Club:

Comments:

Thanks to Paul, NF8J for organizing this multi op event and cajoling me into
joining with my super deluxe CW contest call, N8CC for permitting us to use his
great 160 M station, and ops N8CC, NF8J, K8JJC, K8KS, K8QKY, plus a very part
time effort by me (N8XX).  Some of my fellow contesters who have struggled with
copying my usual 5 watt rig into a "cloud warmer" antenna were quite surprised
to hear a loud signal.

Missed several Canadian provinces, but had WAS several times over. And, was
delighted to hear some very loud QRP signals from the QRP crowd due to
excellent steerable beverage array.

One item of note - we had a windstorm and snowstorm in the wee hours of
Saturday morning.  At about 1 p.m. Saturday (fortunately when 160 M propagation
was nil) there was a power failure - a power pole snapped up the road about a
mile from N8CC's place.  Never to be caught without backup, Jeff pulled his
diesel tractor to the auxiliary 12 KW generator, hooked up the PTO, and within
a half hour was providing the entire shack plus house from diesel powered
electricity!  That's true emergency preparedness!  About 7 p.m. commercial
power was restored, so we lost about 15 minutes powering down and rebooting
everything.