[3830] CQ160 CW N7XU(K4XU) Single Op Assisted HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, k4xu@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] CQ160 CW N7XU(K4XU) Single Op Assisted HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 29 Jan 2012 21:49:24 -0800
                    CQ 160-Meter Contest, CW

Call: N7XU
Operator(s): K4XU
Station: WS7N

Class: Single Op Assisted HP
QTH: OR
Operating Time (hrs): 22:45

Total:  QSOs = 774  State/Prov = 56  Countries = 23  Total Score = 172,694

Club: CODXC

Comments:

The solar conditions frustrated our chances of working Europe. Never heard a
peep even though it is our quietest direction.

This is the first time operating from another station. Bob, WS7N has built a
super LF receiving capability with three reversible beverages and an 160m RX
8-square. The tx antenna is an inverted L off an arm on the 70' crank-up with
about 50 radials. The ERP limitation is not antenna efficiency but poor ground
conductivity which, out here in the ash/pumice fields of the high desert, runs
about 0.5mS/m. The rig was an IC-775 driving a T-T Centurion to 950W.

This was a learning experience. For years I have fumed at the loud East coast
stations who can't hear us West coasters calling until after dawn in Europe. So
here I am calling CQ listening intently for Asians with 50dB of f/b ratio and
only occasionally listening on the tx ant or east Beverage for anyone else. The
table is turned and I'm wondering how many 2-point Q's are being lost with
frustrated US stations who think our RX must be dead. Gotta work on that.

Thanks for the contacts and to Bob and Sarah who put up with the crazy guy in
the basement.

73, Dick  K4XU, N7XU in contests.