[3830] CQ160 CW K9MMS Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, K9MMS@comcast.net
Subject: [3830] CQ160 CW K9MMS Single Op LP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2012 08:20:36 -0800
                    CQ 160-Meter Contest, CW

Call: K9MMS
Operator(s): K9MMS
Station: K9MMS

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: IL
Operating Time (hrs): 19.8

Total:  QSOs = 730  State/Prov = 57  Countries = 16  Total Score = 123,151

Club: Society of Midwest Contesters

Comments:

K3 at 100W ; TX: Inverted-L (now with more radials) and sloping Marconi wire ;
Assorted short RX antennas plus new Hi-Z 2-3 triangular RX array.  70% of QSOs
via CQ runs.

Started a few hours late on Friday.  Worked into the early morning hours
Saturday and Sunday then to sleep around 0400 local time. Unfortunately that
made me unable to get back up to work my sunrise grayline both days -- not a
good thing.

I worked 49 states plus DC, but missed KL7. From reading some of the posts, it
appears that WL7E was on for only about 4 hours -- including around my sunrise
when I was sleeping.  Not good.  I have worked all 50 states a few times before
during 160 meter contest weekends, but it's always a goal to repeat that.

As for Canada: never heard VE7 -- that's usually an easy mult.  Also never
heard NF, LB, or any of the NWT group.

As for DX:  Never heard any EU stations Friday night, and only heard a few on
Saturday night.  Worked almost all of what few EU that I could hear, but those
QSOs were difficult to complete.  Was surprised to not hear any of the usual
western EU stations that frequent top band.  The propagation was just very poor
to EU.

DX worked (in QSO sequence order): PJ2T, C6 (2), CE1/K7CA, XE (3), 6Y3M,
HI3TEJ, KV4FZ, KH6 (2), FM5BH, HK0NA, V31YN, CO6LP, EA5RS, CR6K, CS2C, EI2CN,
and HK3TU.

Briefly heard VP6T, but he was working a KH6 in S&P mode and then gone.  After
the contest, I fortunately heard and worked VP6T during my sunrise grayline on
Monday morning -- a new one for me on top band.

Any top band contest is always fun.  Thanks for the Qs and Ms.

73,
    Gary . K9MMS